Re: [Hammock Camping] Hey folks

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 27, 2009
      Betcha it would be tons of fun in a high wind, huh? So, aside from the
      artsy design elegance factor, what's it good for? It's bolted to the
      ground for obvious reasons, so the canopy is pretty much for show. You
      can't move it around to minimize/maximize sun or breeze exposure.
      Otherwise, it looks like a plain ol' hammock ready for wind surfing.

      Maybe it's bolted to the ground so it won't get stolen by people who
      think it spoils the view. I dunno.

      As an aside, I used my Hennessy hammock over Memorial Day weekend (for
      the first time ever). First night was interesting, as I experimented
      with sleeping positions and waited for the lines to stretch out a bit.
      Second night was great.

      Anybody have any tips for getting dressed in a hammock? LOL! I worked
      out a system of my own, but somebody else might have a better idea.

      Ratty

      Message 2 of 14 , May 27, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

        > I think we've been hanging our hammocks wrong all these years.
        >
        > http://dornob.com/modern-outdoor-hammock-better-than-a-bed/
        >

        > I've been usng trees....
        >
        > Ralph

        Carrying weight, not suitable for woodland use, price, etc....

        Looks nice, but doesnt fit in a day pack like my Hennessy.
      • Elizabeth Young
        Message 3 of 14 , May 27, 2009
          ratsmouth@... wrote:
          > Anybody have any tips for getting dressed in a hammock? LOL! I worked
          > out a system of my own, but somebody else might have a better idea.

          I lie on my back and wiggle out of one set of clothes and then wiggle
          into another. If there's other folks around, I make sure my tarp sides
          are low. If I'm feeling particularly shy, I drape my sleeping bag across
          me over the sides of the hammock.
          Kind of like yoga in a sling.

          liz young in rescue ca
        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 14 , May 27, 2009
            Well, before I had the JRB Hammock Hut and didn't have to worry about privacy (used this for the first time last weekened...just awesome!), I would just sit on the edge of my hammock and do my business there....with occasional peeks out either side of the hammock to make sure no one would see me. haha. To change my pants/shorts I'd half-stand, unbutton and pull down half way, then sit and lean back in the hammock to pull them the rest of the way off. I"d have my sleeping bag with me, so if I needed emergency cover up I'd have it handy...to get dressed, I just reversed the process.

            T3

            Message 5 of 14 , May 27, 2009
              Yeah, that's pretty much what I was doing, except that I figured out
              that if I pull my pants most of the way up and then just give them one
              more tug when I stand up, I'm pretty well screened by the opening of
              the Hennessy Hammock. I can also change my shirt while standing "in
              the hole" without attracting a lot of attention. Love this hammock! I
              didn't want to get out of bed Monday morning when it was time to pack
              up. Good thing I had made Monkey Bread for breakfast the night before,
              so all I had to do was boil some water and toss the aluminum foil
              package of Monkey Bread in the ashes of last night's fire to warm it
              up. I'm pretty much sold on my hammock.

              Ratty

              > Anybody have any tips for getting dressed in a hammock? LOL! I
              worked

              > out a system of my own, but somebody else might have a better
              idea.

              I lie on my back and wiggle out of one set of clothes and then wiggle

              into another. If there's other folks around, I make sure my tarp sides

              are low. If I'm feeling particularly shy, I drape my sleeping bag
              across

              me over the sides of the hammock.

              Kind of like yoga in a sling.=0

              liz young in rescue ca

            • HAROLD STEELE
              Message 6 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                Monkey Bread?

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                  Yuh. Easy to make, very yummy pull-apart bread. I have an 8" Dutch
                  oven that goes most places with me (kayak and car camping), and Monkey
                  Bread has gotten to be sort of popular with my camping buddies, so I
                  make it almost every time we go anywhere.

                  Make a foil liner for Dutch oven (molded to fit the inside so the lid
                  will fit tight), remove liner to use while doing the prep work, preheat
                  Dutch oven.
                  Cut refrigerated biscuit dough (Pillsbury Grands or whatever) into
                  quarters, roll into balls and dip each in melted butter, roll in brown
                  sugar/cinnamon mixture. Pour a little extra melted butter into the
                  foil liner and sprinkle some of the cinnamon/brown sugar in the bottom,
                  then add the dough balls in layers.
                  Put the liner and prepped Monkey Bread dough into the heated Dutch
                  oven, set over coals, cover, and add coals to lid.

                  Check in a few minutes (maybe 15-20). When browned, pull liner and all
                  out of the Dutch oven, break out the butter, alert the hungry natives,
                  and pig out.

                  Can I hijack a thread, or what?

                  Ratty

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                    Actually I don't think this thread has been hijacked.  After all you can eat Monkey Bread while getting dressed in your hammock.

                    ________________________________

                    > Anybody have any tips for getting dressed in a hammock? LOL! I

                    worked

                    > out a system of my own, but somebody else might have a better

                    idea.

                    I lie on my back and wiggle out of one set of clothes and then wiggle

                    into another. If there's other folks around, I make sure my tarp sides

                    are low. If I'm feeling particularly shy, I drape my sleeping bag

                    across

                    me over the sides of the hammock.

                    Kind of like yoga in a sling.=0

                    liz young in rescue ca

                  • R Swink
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                      Not sure if it was hijacked but you might get a few offers to go out camping
                      with folks.

                    • Arye P. R.
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 27, 2009
                        I sleep in an oversized hospital gown with that on I can do what I want when I want and I'm 'covered'. BTW I wear it with the opening in front and a belt or string to keep it overlaped and closed.

                        Sapere Aude,

                        Arye P. Rubenstein