Re: [Hammock Camping] Looking for advice/product opinions

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2009
      Can't help you with a good tarp that's less than $100...but those cheapo tarps (like the blue or gray ones) will be okay for a little while, but they will seep water. Classic problem with cheap tents that use the same material for the floor, in the morning you can find all your stuff all wet. The same could happen in a heavy downpour if you use it for a top tarp and they don't tent to last long as a good nylon tarp.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2009
        Thanks Tom,

        Didn't know that they seep water.

        John

        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2009
          *the brand name is equinox tarps. they have 8x19, 10x10 all sill nylon, but
          make sure you get it
          without the grommets, go with the tie-outs. i know several places sell it. *
          *for a little more monye yo can go for the speer cat cut tarp or jrb 10x11*
          On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 7:02 PM, John Coy <traveling2u@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone offer some helpful advice, or suggestions for a good
          > lightweight, (at least 8' x 8' and not bigger than 10' x 10') rain fly for
          > less than $100.00. Hopefully my explanation below will give you some ideas
          > for what I'm looking for.
          >
          > I've enjoyed hammocks forever, as an add-on for camping in comfort. Now,
          > I'm decided to finally use one exclusively, no more tent. I've already got
          > my hammock w/no-see-um mosquito netting. I love it.
          > It's not one of the brands that I see everyone talking about, but I'm
          > going to stick with it, and just need a tarp now. (by the way mine is
          > a "hammockbliss" brand, at www.hammockbliss.com).
          >
          > I'm in need of a tarp/rain-fly for my hammock sleeping rig. I'd like to be
          > able to use it in most any condition, but I use it mostly in alpine forests
          > here in Utah. (It seems square or diamond shape is best/most versatile for
          > hammock
          > use, but if anyone prefers a rectangular cut, let me know the
          > advantages to you.)
          >
          > I'm open to suggestions, but I'm considering: the white Kelty Noah, 9' x 9'
          > tarp ($59.00), weighing 1 lb 7 oz, made of 75D 190T 450mm PU polyester
          > taffeta (which I don't understand); and the "Big Rain Fly" Camo 3 meter x 4
          > meter diamond shaped tarp, (apparrantly measured opposite corner to opposite
          > corner), weighing abt. 1 lb. 4 oz., made of polyurethane coated 244 ripstop
          > Nylon, found at www.mosquitohammock.com (I have an idea what the
          > polyurethane coating is, but I don't know how to compare different types of
          > nylon, or polyesters, nor know whether it matters with respect to how it
          > takes the polyurethane coating, nor as to whether it is even any better than
          > just spraying, or washing with a silicon or other treatment). If it helps
          > in getting info., specs for the Kelty Noah are found quickly at REI.com, and
          > searching key work "noah"
          >
          > Incidently, other than weight, what are the downside to just getting a
          > cheap-o polyeurathan tarp / tarpoline to use as a fly? Are they really that
          > much heavier than nylon, or is it just that they don't back away very small,
          > or is it all about durability, and ripping more easily if cut??
          >
          > Thanks a million for your advice and suggestions.
          >
          > John

          I J. (aka peanuts)