Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • John Coy
    Message 1 of 59 , May 8 2:37 PM
      Thanks for the reply, Otto.

      I'll be interested to hear about your success with models you're looking at..  I looked at their websites too, and found them interesting.  For whatever it is worth, the way I set up my system, there is no risk of anything slipping off.

      I have loops (by simple bowline knots tied all along the cord that supports the rain fly, and I can then hang anything there that I like, without it moving.  With my system, I can put the reflective blanket under me, or over me, or use shock-cord to tie the corners up to the loops in the rope above me, which allows the blanket to hang right up against the outside bottom of the hammock, w/out bearing weight, because the shock-cords allow it to move under the weight.  Of course you could store gear on it, or put whatever insulation on it you want, and it won't compress, because the shock cords allow it to avoid too much pressure.

      I actually find that the blanket works well enough for me just in the hammock, like I described before, though, and its simplier, and it doesn't move, or slip out of position on me.  It can't, becuase the sides are lifted up and hanging on either side from the middle rope, grommot of the blanket, cord, and to the loop in the rope that's holding the tarp.

      I don't know if that helps explain it well or not.  I hope so.  I should take some pictures sometime, but unfortunately, I won't be using it for a few weeks, so it would be a while before I could show you by photo what I'm trying to describe.

      Let me know how you like your system, whatever you do.  Thanks again for the reply.

      John

      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy