Re: Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • proteorio
    Message 1 of 59 , May 8, 2009
      Hi Rod,
      I visited the Warbonnet Blackbird site. Seems a very good model. A little bit expensive with the tarp. I think a double layers hammock is better. It's easy to find a suitable insulation pad and can be used as a camping pad when sleeping on the ground if trees are not available..
      During my research for hammocks I was impressed by the Mosquito Hammock (Tom Claytor http://www.mosquitohammock.com/), the Jungle model. Look's like to have many good features: is double layer and accept a camping pad, can lay on the ground if no trees are available, has camouflage color that is very good for stealth camping, and in Brazil is better not to be seen, the price is good and he send for free worldwide. I will try to find out if there is some major drawback.
      Thanks for the wishes
      Otto

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rodney Diseker <rod_knee_d@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Best of luck.
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On May 4, 2009, at 5:13 PM, Otto Mateus <proteorio@...> wrote:
      >

      > Hi to everybody and thanks to be admitted to this very interesting group
      > I’m an italian man living and working in Brazil. I'm m. 1,90 (about 6’ 4”) tall and my weight is about kg. 85 (165 lbs.).
      > I'm planning to do lot's of backcountry traveling by mule as part of my job who is geographical prospector/researcher. Sometimes I will have one mule and i will carry my stuff in the saddle bags, other times with the help of a pack mule. And also I have to navigate rivers on a homemade petrol drums raft with the support of a kayak and/or a small aluminum or rubber boat. Other times I have to carry around my gear in the rucksack.
      > Brazil have a wide climate variety from hot and very humid to freezing cold (not like North America but few degrees below zero) and, in South America the nearby Andean mountains have crossings well over 3000 meters.
      > During the years I appreciate the versatility of hammocks versus tents. Very easy to hang, free from humidity, stones, slopping ground, very good for stealth camping and have a two levels shelter. On the ground, the kitchen and a dry place to store my stuff and on the 1st floor” (the hammock) the bed room.
      > I tried to sleep in few homemade models of hammocks but I had two main complain:
      > A â€" cold during the night (even in Italy in fall)
      > B â€" the “banana” position who doesn’t allow to sleep on the side which is my favorite sleeping position
      > It would be very nice for me to have to carry only one shelter to cope the different climates and situations. Now I would like to buy a good model to suit my needs but I’m confused which brand to choose because “least but not last” working in the environment research field, unfortunately budgets are very tight and money never enough.
      > The models I came across are:
      > 1 â€" Clark Jungle Hammock North American (kg.1,330 max kg. 137 $ 299) with Xl fly ($ 20)
      > 2 - Hennessy Hammocks Explorer Ultra light with substitute hex fly60 ($219.95 )
      > I know that there are many others good brands but I don’t know
      > If somebody has the kindness to give me some advice to make me able to buy one model I will greatly appreciated.
      > Thanking everybody in anticipation I beg to forgot my basic English and I beg also not to use abbreviations because I will get confused
      > Otto
      >
      > Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! +Buscados
      > http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com

      > msg p#attach-count span { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: bold; } div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } #ygrp-msg p a { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-table { width: 400px; } -->

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4 12:44 PM
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy