Re: Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • proteorio
    Message 1 of 59 , May 6, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

      > Hi Otto,
      > A friend of mine went to Africa to be a missionary bush pilot.
      > His dad gave him a Hennesy and we spent time showing him how to hang it and
      > how to ties knots. It is possible to hang a Hennesy hammock form the wings
      > of a small plane.
      >
      > Ed Spears who is owner of this list and also has been around the world as a
      > geologist. Just email him if you have any questions.
      > His hammock sight is at (www.speerhammocks.com)
      >
      > Rogene
      >
      > Hi Rogene,
      Nice to meet you and thanks for the answer.
      I visited the interesting Ed Speer's site on Internet and, as you suggested, I sent him a message.
      Many people seem very happy with Hennessy others with Clark. It's difficult to judge. I hope Mr. Speer will give me some more advices to choose the right hammock.
      Otto

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy