Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 59 , May 6, 2009
      Claytors have double bottoms too: www.mosquitohammock.com so you can shove a pad in them as well. The fly for this hammock would need to be water proofed though, or replace it with another tarp like the Hammock Hut www.jacksrbetter.com or the Speer Winter Tarp www.speerhammocks.com

      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy