Re: Hammock for Brazil and South America

  • proteorio
    Message 1 of 59 , May 6, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kerrilarkin" <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

      > Hi Otto,
      >
      > I'm new to hammock camping (and the forum)too. I bought a Hennesy for the reasons you give: I also sleep on my side, and the asymetrical design allows me to sleep flat enough to be very comfortable on my side. Although I bought the SuperShelter system, I guess that a cheaper way of staying warm would be to just buy the undercover, then use a camping mat and a space blanket between the undercover and the hammock. Although I've only spent a few hours in my hammock so far, I find it sooo comfortable. I wish you luck in your work and travels!

      Hi ,
      Nice to meet you and thanks for the answer.
      Seems that the world of hammocking is divided between Hennessy and Clark lovers with both parties with strong arguments. It is very difficult to try to understand and judge something that you cant hold in your hands, but looking at pictures, it's very far away and very complicated to get.
      For the moment what I deduced is:
      Hannessy cheaper but not very comfortable because bottom entry
      Clark more expensive but seems more comfortable also for the bottom pockets that can act as insulations if filled with cloths
      Others brands I still try to figure out models and prices
      Thanks for the wishes I hope to find the right one very soon.
      Otto
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 59 of 59 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hi, Otto....hmmmm you went with the Claytor Jungle Hammock....I'm really liking the Warbonnet Blackbird (hope I have name right).

        I was thinking of y'all last week as I was hanging on the rooftop terrace (mirador) of my little house in Mexico (Lake Chapala area; south of Guadalajara; central highlands).

        It's a hand woven (nylon) traditional style Venezuelan hammock - in a bright yellow. I thought I'd take advantage of the nice weather for a chance to get a good night's sleep (I have arthritis) and managed to stay there til ab 3 a.m. but there were quite a few mosquitos.

        Sooooo, I'm now seriously looking at buying a mosquito net...over the two links I posted earlier I'm thinking of ordering the ENO one because it has a ridgeline (as opposed to the other that has 4 tie-outs). I have a Treklight double, so I can use the net with that one as well.

        Otto, I lived mostly in Caracas...and yes, I like to kayak and have several. I only do recreational paddling - in South Florida we do river kayak camping trips.

        I bought the Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp (ab. $60)...and later I got the white one from Sportsmansguide ($30 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-tarp.aspx?a=254694). No way should you have to buy a new tarp and then waterproof it!!

        The HH one has neat little pockets that close with velcro (I think) to stuff the guy lines inside.

        sandy