Hot Springs Hammock Campout June 12-14, 2009

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2009
      Everyone is invited: 26th SEHHA Campout Hot Springs Campground Hot Springs, NC June 12-14 2009

      Sponsored by Speer Hammocks, the Hot Springs Hang is held 3 times a year: April, June & September. This is not a sales even, instead it's a laid back weekend with our friends and fellow hammockers. The April09 Hang last weekend was our largest ever with 50 guests! Karen & I hope the June campout will be even bigger!

      Join us for the 26th SEHHA (SouthEast Hammock Hangers Association) campout June 12-14, 2009. It's FREE! (except for your $6/nite camping fee). This is an informal group event and everyone is welcome--veteran, novice or future hammockers. See, learn and share your knowledge with other hammock enthusiasts. This will be an easy overnight campout at a commercial campground in a beautiful mountain river setting near the Appalachian Trail in western North Carolina! Join me, Ed Speer, author of the Hammock Camping book and editor of the Hammock Camping Newsletters for a fun midsummer campout. Previous trips were well attended and this is another chance for hammockers to show their stuff, share ideas, learn from others, and be a part of the 'new way'. Meet old friends and make new ones! Check out the newest hammock gear!

      This is also the weekend of the Bluff Mountain Bluegrass Festival! Enjoy free live music performed within a 2 minute walk of our campsite!

      We will camp in the popular Hot Springs Campground approximately 45 minute drive northwest of Asheville, NC or 1.5 hours east of Knoxville, TN. The campground is located on the east side of the town of Hot Springs on Highway US 25/70 directly across from the Hot Springs Resort and Hot Tubs. The campground is situated on the French Broad River and our campsite (#413) is on the rivers' west bank. Road access to the campground is from Asheville, NC or Newport, TN on US 25/US 70. Trees are available for about 15 hammocks at site # 413, so please bring hammock stands if you have them. However, trees suitable for 100s of hammocks are available throughout the campground! For those interested in renting their own campsite, nearby sites with 3-10 suitable hammock setups each include # 407, 411, 415, 311, 313 & 315. Elsewhere, sites 461, 463, 465, 467, 469 & 501 are excellent choices with trees for 10-20 hammocks each; while an overflow area immediately south of the bandstand stage can handle up to 60 hammocks. Camp central for the weekend will be the camp fire and large white canopy at site #413.

      Everyone will be responsible for his or her own transportation, gear, behavior, and camping fees ($6/person for those at site # 413).

      Show up anytime and leave anytime, but don't miss our free Saturday evening hot dog cookout! This is now a tradition at each hammock hangers campout--it's not to be missed! Otherwise, everyone will be responsible for his or her own meals.

      Upon arrival, check in at the campground gate and ask for the 'hammock group'. Karen and I will be at the campsite Friday afternoon thru midday Sunday, so arrive anytime after 1 pm Friday. Folding camp chairs will be appropriate, so bring your own. The Hot Springs area abounds with outdoor opportunities like hiking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, etc--you can easily combine the hammock campout with an outdoor trip. The Appalachian Trail passes thru town and only a few hundred feet from our campsite. The French Broad River adjacent to our campsite is a popular fishing and floating stream.

      Find complete campground details at:
      http://camp.nchotsprings.com/

      Find driving directions at: http://nchotsprings.com/directions.html

      Summer temperatures at this elevation can fluctuate wildly, so expect daytime temps of 50-85F and nighttime temps of 40-70F. Rain is possible so be prepared.

      Signing up is not necessary, but letting us know will be appreciated-- ed@... or call (828) 724-4444

      Everyone Welcome! See ya at Hot Springs!

      Make plans now for our Fall campout--September 18-20, 2008, also in Hot Springs, NC!

      …..Ed "Not To Worry" Speer
      Co-owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
      Moderator, Hammock Camping List (Yahoo Groups)
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2009
        I hope everyone is planning on attending our next hammock campout---June 12-14, Hot Springs, NC. Check this link for more info:

        http://www.speerhammocks.com/Assets/Articles/HotSpringsJun09.htm

        We had a large turnout for the April campout & it looks like there is just as much interest in the upcoming June campout. There's plenty of room for hammocks, but letting me know you're coming will make planning a bit easier. Karen & I will be hosting the Saturday night Hot Dog Roast; however we'll see if enough interest develops for having a Saturday am communal breakfast &/or another silent auction. I currently have about 15 confirmed campers. Karen & I always enjoy this mid-summer campout beside the French Broad River--easy to cool off in the river when it gets too hot or we just want to get away from all the hammock talk!

        Remember kids are always welcome & a June campout is great family fun!

        ...Ed
        Owner, Speer Hammocks, Inc
        Author, Hammock Campoing book
        Moderator, Hammock Camping Discussion Group (this List)