Anyone ever use a Selk "sleeping suit" in conjunction with their hammock?

  • Scot Leibacher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 11:48 AM
      Greetings, I ran across something called a Selk Sleeping Suit (manufactured
      by Lippi).
      Although they are kind of comical looking, in that the wearer resembles a
      fluffy
      gumby. it looked like it had some possible merit. This based on my struggles
      to climb into
      a Henessey hammock then get situated in a sleeping bag in colder weather. I
      was wondering
      if anyone out there had tried one of these, and if so, what they thought if
      it. Here is a link if you
      are interested in seeing what one looks like:
      http://store.mpgear.com/lippi-selk-bag-2.aspx
      They make two version (Selk 1 and Selk 2) covering different temperature
      ranges. I am
      seeing these crop up on eBay and also on the camp gear outlet site which
      indicates to
      me they are being liquidated. Just curious if anyone uses one or has tried
      one out.
      Thanks.

    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27 12:02 PM
        As part of my sleep system, I wear insulated outerwear and love that
        when I get up to pee or when waking up in the morning, I'm wearing part
        of my sleeping bag and stay warm.

        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_60_pant.html
        http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_60_pullover.html

        I use this in conjunction with a Speer PeaPod and TopBlanket.

        As far as getting into a Hennessey, try getting into the sleeping bag
        first, while standing in the slot, then insert yourself as usual, with
        the bag already around you.

        Best regards,

        Rich

        Scot Leibacher wrote:
        > Greetings, I ran across something called a Selk Sleeping Suit (manufactured
        > by Lippi).
        > Although they are kind of comical looking, in that the wearer resembles a
        > fluffy
        > gumby. it looked like it had some possible merit. This based on my struggles
        > to climb into
        > a Henessey hammock then get situated in a sleeping bag in colder weather. I
        > was wondering
        > if anyone out there had tried one of these, and if so, what they thought if
        > it. Here is a link if you
        > are interested in seeing what one looks like:
        > http://store.mpgear.com/lippi-selk-bag-2.aspx
        > They make two version (Selk 1 and Selk 2) covering different temperature
        > ranges. I am
        > seeing these crop up on eBay and also on the camp gear outlet site which
        > indicates to
        > me they are being liquidated. Just curious if anyone uses one or has tried
        > one out.
        > Thanks.

      • amatbrewer
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27 12:47 PM
          "I wear insulated outerwear "

          I normally wear an insulating layer (fleece, long underwear, premaloft, etc depending on the conditions). I find it cuts down on the bulk I need to pack (e.g. a lighter bag) and makes it a little easer to get out of my shelter (tent/bivi/hammock) when necessary.
          Many years ago I saw a parka/sleeping bag combo that I thought was a good idea (the info said it was designed for the military of some European country). You could unzip the bag at the beltline and flip the bag up so that it attaches to some Velcro on your back (or remove the bag portion entirely). It was even waterproof so you did not need a shelter of any kind. It looked like a neat idea, but weighed a ton (I think it was cotton, wool and nylon).
          One issue I see with the sleep suit, like mittens vs. gloves. Having less surface area makes mittens inherently warmer than gloves…dexterity is another matter. The same would apply here, the larger surface area would suggest that you could get equivalent warmth with a lighter conventional bag, but if getting up and moving around, or as you suggest not having to get into / out of a bag in a hammock…it could be a good idea. However I would side with Rich and suggest you could go with insulated outerwear and get similar warmth and even more versatility (probably at a lower cost).

          However with a hammock, you still have the issue of the insulation between your body and the hammock, being compressed by your weight…

          Dave