hello group!

  • vballvoodoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 25, 2009
      I've been around for a few weeks and been reading and searching and want to thank everyone for all the great info on here. There's ALOT of info on here. Admittedly, too much for me to make sense of all at once.

      I stumbled onto hammock camping last summer. Havent been backpacking for several years and went out and found that I can no longer sleep on the ground and had to give up backpacking for good. That is, until I went into a little shop in St Augustine that sold hammocks. Bought one for about $35 and started thinking about using it for camping. It is an eagle's nest double, and i used it a few times with some poorly rigged bug netting and tarp hanging. This spring and summer, I plan on going out alot. I found an eagle's nest bug net, but didnt see a tarp.

      What would be really great is maybe if someone could condense all this info for me into a couple reccommendations for someone in their first season of using a hammock. I have a set of nylon straps (tree huggers I think) but I found last year that it was hard to get the right amount of sag and was too dependent on finding jsut the right distance between trees. I found an adjustable knot to use here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InwfA4_O12w but I dont know what kind of rope to use that would support my weight (210lbs). What I did find was too thick. I liked the option of using rope as it cuts down on the weight in my pack, if i can find the right rope that is.

      So my questions are, what would be a good place to start? An easy/dependable way to rig a tarp and a method/equipment to hang the hammock? I did read lots of posts, but like I said, being new and not experienced, it is hard to find a starting point!
    • ij santiago
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
        hello vballvoodoo,

        regarding the info, please check out this forum hammock forums.net there
        are several threads
        regarding this topic. i am an eagle nest user for 8 yrs. i use polyester
        straps(15 ft) and the smc rings to hang my hammock. it is quick. now
        regarding sag, well thats where a ridge line comes into play. once you
        have a set length that works for you , your hammock will always hang the
        same way no matter how far apart you hang.

        like i said, hammock forums has a wealth of information already there. it
        just takes too much typing! lol
        and i hate that!

        so welcome to the hanging crowd!!

        --
        I J. (aka peanuts)

      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
          I used to have a cheap byer hammock and used those tree hugger straps you mentioned (mine was from another cheap-hammock manufacturer that sold the huggers separate from the hammock) and can relate to the problems you've been experiencing. It wasn't long before that byer hammock failed (netting stitches fell apart), but while I was using it (just for trail side lounging) I had the same issues of needing to find just the right "perfect" space between two trees, which wasn't always possible!

          Instead, I switched to a cinch buckle, and strap, system; you can see the cinch buckle here: http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=0 There are pics of the cinch buck (and other suspension options) here: http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingSuspension.html#Cinch
          Also, if you do decide to go with a cinch buckle set up, I have xtras that I can sell at $3/pair (plus shipping cost)--they are black in color rather than the chrome that shows in the pictures and they accept 1" inch wide webbing or straps. I ended up purchasing these from a website other than the onrope1.com site as they were cheaper, but I had a minimum order requirement so I ended up with 11 pairs. I figured they'd come in handy later as I plan on making more hammocks in the near future. If you'd like a pair (or if anyone else here is interested), send me a private email.

          Ropes for hammocks isn't generally considered a good idea---tarps, maybe, as there isn't as much weight on those lines, but on a hammock there's your weight plus gravity and a host of other forces adding alot of weight and strain on the hammock suspension. You run the risk of destroying trees with your ropes if you do this. Webbing helps spread the load along the tree's bark and helps prevent rope burns and other such issues from occurring. You can get a 30' foot length of webbing for relatively cheap from www.speerhammocks.com. This will give you two 15' foot sections of webbing, one for each end of the hammock, if you cut it in half and sear the edges with a lighter to prevent unraveling.

          Some good websites to read up on hammock camping (if you haven't come across them yet):

          www.hammockforums.net
          http://www.tothewoods.net/ (lots of other links on this site, not to mention plenty of reading information on his site!)

          The ENO hammock is a decent no-net hammock. I don't think you can really go wrong with an ENO. Got one for my wife a couple of months ago, but I still prefer the comfy feeling of 1.9 oz. ripstop nylon. Seems to be more give, oddly enough, in the 1.9 oz material, though the 1.9 is only rated (as I've noticed on commercial hammock makers websites who use this material) to around 250 pounds (good enough for me and you) but the ENO has a better rating at 400 pounds. It's a great hammock though, you do need the xtra bugnetting to bug proof it. Pretty much a requirement if you're going to use it for camping. I really do not like the ENO hammock rainfly though; it's way too small for my taste. I like a tarp with better coverage and more flexibility like the Speer Winter Tarp (www.speerhammocks.com) or the Hammock Hut by Jacks R Better (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/). I've got both of these and they are really great products. I've used the Speer Winter Tarp in the summer, fall and winter of last year, but I haven't had a chance to use the Hammock Hut yet...but am planning a camping trip next weekend during which I plan on using (and taking pictures) of Jacks-r-better's tarp set up. Both can be spread out to accomidate more than one hammock hanger too.

          Hope that's a little food for thought and helps you out a bit! Happy hanging!

          Tom Frazier

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
            > What would be really great is maybe if someone could condense all this info
            > for me into a couple reccommendations ...

            Well, it has been condensed into a book. Check <http://www.hammockcamping.com>

            Mark
          • Elizabeth Young
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 26, 2009
              vballvoodoo wrote:
              > So my questions are, what would be a good place to start?
              The best place to start is find a couple of trees you can get to easily
              (that's a neighborhood park for me) and try a bunch of different things
              with your hammock - change the sag, raise and lower the foot, change the
              distance from the ground, and so on. Try camping out in a place where
              you can bail out easily if things just don't work out that night. I've
              spent a couple of nights in a local state park, just to play with
              hammock stuff.

              Tom, Mark and Santiago have already sent you to
              hammockforums.net, tothewoods.net, and hammockcamping.com
              All great sites with a lot of info (grab some coffee and expect to stay
              up way too late reading stuff)

              > An easy/dependable way to rig a tarp and
              Both tarps I have used have a seam running down the middle of the tarp.
              I pitch the tarp in a A frame configuration with the seam running
              between the trees and then just tie the four corners out at an angle. I
              have tried a smaller tarp that I had to pitch so that two opposite
              corners were at the trees but I did not like it.

              > a method/equipment to hang the hammock?
              I use 1" nylon straps around the trees. Means the bark is generally not
              damaged.
              I have two rings made into buckles on each end of the hammock (cinch or
              ring buckle) and I feed the ends of the straps through these. That lets
              me adjust the hammock quickly.
              I also have added a structural ridgeline to my hammock (like yours, a
              double) and like it very much because it means the sag is exactly the
              same each time I hang.
              I use a rope called Amsteel for my hammock suspension - it is used for
              rigging for bluewater sailing. It is very strong and light. It is also a
              little pricey.

              There are lots of photos in the group file. You can see both hammocks
              and tarps that I use in the folder Liz's stuff.

              liz young (eay on hammockforums.net)