Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Best Rain Fly

  • Nigel Parrish
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20 8:12 AM
      I would second rock climbing nuts as an alternative in a rocky
      landscape. Very easy to place and second hand ones can be got hold of
      cheaply and will be perfectly good for hanging.

      Nigel
      On 20 Apr 2009, at 15:51, Arye P. R. wrote:

      > Rock climbing nuts and hexes, also there areexpandable climbers
      > things to fit between cracks.
      >
      > Sapere Aude,
      >
      > Arye P. Rubenstein
      >
      > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
      > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education... Albert
      > Einstein
      >
      > ________________________________

    • boardmanmw
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 22 9:00 AM
        It's the mosquito net that's hanging down--you can see the vertical zipper partially open, with the hammock faintly showing inside. I did have the hammock tied fairly low this time, but the tarp was low too, (at night anyway), on account of the blowing rain. I like to be able to sit in it low enough off the ground to put boots on and off comfortably. there's a lot of sag, but the hammock is cut 60 inches wide, so I sleep diagonally, and it doesn't sag much with my weight in it.

        Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Larkin <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

        > Hey thanks for the pic MWB. Yes, the good 'ol rectangular tarp can be very versatile. Um, your hammock appears to be hanging very low - is that a trick of the lens or are you really that low?
        >
        > My next big challenge is finding a light, protable way of hanging in Central Australia where there are no trees. I've seen a few ideas on hammock forums, but a lot of them are quite bulky and the ski poles don't seem to get the hammock high enough for the underneath entry of the Hennessey. Has anyone here comoe up with some fantastic method?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Kerri

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 22 12:40 PM
          Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
          there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
          other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
          would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
          lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
          still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

          Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.

          Google risk hammock for more info

          Ralph

        • Kerri Larkin
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 23 1:12 AM
            Thanks guys! What awealth of information this forum is. Sorry to have hijacked the thread . I'll google the single pole thing - I expect I'll always have the car out there, so I think that will suffice as something sturdy to hang one end to!

            Cheers,

            Kerri

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 23 5:22 PM
              Well, I did it. I am from out of town. That probably makes me an expert.

              Rick

              Ralph Oborn wrote:
              > Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
              > there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
              > other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
              > would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
              > lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
              > still out there if you look. Regards, MWB
              >
              > Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.
              >
              > Google risk hammock for more info
              >
              > Ralph

            • Arye P. R.
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 24 8:05 AM

                do you have any single pole techniques on your site, if so where, under which subject?

                Arye