Re: Hammock Camping to Jodi.....HEAVY USE question..........

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      wrote:
      But I
      > find I love it and am definitely looking at the Santiago - what¡Çs
      the
      > distance between your eyehooks???
      >
      > Thanks for the answer!
      > Jodi

      Hi Jodi,

      You're welcome! I just went and measured the distance between the s-
      hooks (used on the ends of the rope loops that I tie onto the hammock
      ends), rather than the distance between the eye hooks (which is
      longer than your 9 1/2 feet). I hung my Brazilian cloth hammock (the
      one from Hammockjungle that I bought on eBay) and it measured approx.
      11 feet. I have the eye hooks mounted and then have a chain hanging
      from each eye hook. I hang the hammock on the chains. My Santiago
      hammock hangs on the same two chains at about the same distance
      between the ends. The wonderful thing about the Brazilian hammocks
      is that you can hang them in a shorter distance because of the way
      you lay in them ~ crossways or diagonally. I've got it down now so
      that when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I just come
      right back to the same position and fall right back to sleep. What I
      like about the cloth hammock compared to the Mayan woven string
      hammock is the solid fabric. I don't get my toenails tangled in the
      strings <grins>.

      The Santiago hammock is a heavier cloth than the Hammockjungle cloth
      hammock. I think the Santiago will work well in the winter for
      warmth. The Hammockjungle hammock is lightweight enough to be fine
      for summer sleeping. I don't have air conditioning, so rely on fans
      and open windows for cool breezes.

      I think you could hang either the Santiago or the other cloth hammock
      (if you get one like that on eBay) in 9.5 feet. The description of
      the eBay hammock says it hangs in 10 feet or more.

      The price difference between the eBay/Hammockjungle hammock and the
      Santiago is considerable. I paid $85.00 for my Santiago at Bass
      Pro. The Hammockjungle one cost around $37.95, including shipping.

      Please keep me posted on what you decide. I'll continue to help in
      any way I can.

      Christina
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

        Dang, I see I’m still doing the Japanese thingy that only shows up in the apostrophe <shrug>  Stupid outlook – probably should change my email program but I love “I Hate Spam” for Outlook and although I bought Spam Remedy, I really love the options in I Hate Spam.

        Anyway, the Santiago is at Galyans in Buffalo for $60!!  So I guess that’s a great price.  If I find I sleep too warmly in the summer in it, I could get the other for summer and leave the Santiago for winter.  Although I do have A/C so that wouldn’t really be a problem.  Although, (what is it with me and all the “although”s??) I could just spend another $20 on the Traveller and just use it in the summer (if I could find one that didn’t have the same problem I have with this one – although (there I go again) I seriously believe I just got a “lemon” in this case.  Heard too much good on them to believe otherwise.

        Thanks for all your help here Christina – I sure am enjoying my hammock for all the time sleeping.  Nice to find someone who sleeps in one like I do.  Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to sleep in – I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

        Thanks again!

        Jodi

        (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          wrote:
          > Thanks for all your help here Christina â€" I sure am enjoying my
          hammock for all the time sleeping. Nice to find someone who sleeps
          in one like I do. Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to
          sleep in â€" I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find
          the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

          Christina here ~~~

          Chuckling, Jodi. I haven't slept in my bed for several months. I
          plan on getting rid of it when I haven't slept in it for a few more,
          just to be on the safe side. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of
          it before now is that I don't want to have to dismantle the books at
          the top of my staircase to get the box springs down. And I don't
          think I want to throw it out the window !!! <grins>

          Actually, I'm going to be away from home for a few nights here
          shortly and am concerned that I won't be able to sleep well on a flat
          bed anymore. I used to wake up achey and sore (well, my daughter
          says it's my lousy mattress...). At any rate, since I've been
          sleeping in the hammock exclusively, I've had nary an ache or pain.

          Cheers,

          Christina
          Not to belabor the point, but I'm going to plug the <Grande Hammock
          Brazilian Cloth Hammocks> on eBay anyway. I just looked and find
          that the *buy it now* price is $32.95. I absolutely LOVE this
          hammock. Not only is it totally confortable (so is the Santiago) but
          it has a pretty fringe, too.
        • Mark Bayern
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
            Jodi

            (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

            Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.
          • Coy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
              Hey for message 1995 I was aske to install a language pack. I'm
              still laughing.

              Coy Boy
              PS this should be # 2000, thats a lot of hammock talk LOL

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003

                WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                Thanks Mark

                (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

                Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.

              • tcoug7
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                  wrote:

                  > Thanks Mark

                  Shoot, I'm gonna miss the Japaneese jokes! ;)

                  Tim