Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Best Rain Fly

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
      Rock climbing nuts and hexes, also there areexpandable climbers things to fit between cracks.

      Sapere Aude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
        I would second rock climbing nuts as an alternative in a rocky
        landscape. Very easy to place and second hand ones can be got hold of
        cheaply and will be perfectly good for hanging.

        Nigel
        On 20 Apr 2009, at 15:51, Arye P. R. wrote:

        > Rock climbing nuts and hexes, also there areexpandable climbers
        > things to fit between cracks.
        >
        > Sapere Aude,
        >
        > Arye P. Rubenstein
        >
        > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
        > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education... Albert
        > Einstein
        >
        > ________________________________

      • boardmanmw
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 22, 2009
          It's the mosquito net that's hanging down--you can see the vertical zipper partially open, with the hammock faintly showing inside. I did have the hammock tied fairly low this time, but the tarp was low too, (at night anyway), on account of the blowing rain. I like to be able to sit in it low enough off the ground to put boots on and off comfortably. there's a lot of sag, but the hammock is cut 60 inches wide, so I sleep diagonally, and it doesn't sag much with my weight in it.

          Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Larkin <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

          > Hey thanks for the pic MWB. Yes, the good 'ol rectangular tarp can be very versatile. Um, your hammock appears to be hanging very low - is that a trick of the lens or are you really that low?
          >
          > My next big challenge is finding a light, protable way of hanging in Central Australia where there are no trees. I've seen a few ideas on hammock forums, but a lot of them are quite bulky and the ski poles don't seem to get the hammock high enough for the underneath entry of the Hennessey. Has anyone here comoe up with some fantastic method?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Kerri

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 22, 2009
            Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
            there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
            other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
            would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
            lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
            still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

            Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.

            Google risk hammock for more info

            Ralph

          • Kerri Larkin
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
              Thanks guys! What awealth of information this forum is. Sorry to have hijacked the thread . I'll google the single pole thing - I expect I'll always have the car out there, so I think that will suffice as something sturdy to hang one end to!

              Cheers,

              Kerri

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
                Well, I did it. I am from out of town. That probably makes me an expert.

                Rick

                Ralph Oborn wrote:
                > Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
                > there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
                > other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
                > would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
                > lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
                > still out there if you look. Regards, MWB
                >
                > Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.
                >
                > Google risk hammock for more info
                >
                > Ralph

              • Arye P. R.
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 24, 2009

                  do you have any single pole techniques on your site, if so where, under which subject?

                  Arye