Re: Best Rain Fly

  • kerrilarkin
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15 1:33 AM
      Thanks Lori and MWB - some good advice there!. I'm still waiting to find a place I can try hanging my hammock to test it out. Nowhere I've been recently has trees! I'm visiting friends on the North Coast of New South Wales (Australia), where it's been raining most days since Christmas - definately a good placde to have a well thought out rain fly at present, and even better for hanging - the ground is a bog!.

      Kerri

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "boardmanmw" <boardmanm@...> wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Larkin <kerrilarkin@> wrote:
      > Kerri,
      > In my experience, using shock cord is quieter than using non-elastic lines; the shock cord keeps the fly more taut in wind by its give and rebound.
      >
      > I started out with a HH, and still use it occasionally, but I never liked the hex fly and quickly switched to a rectangular. In cold or rainy weather, you can string a rectanglar fly down to the ground and even close up the ends--I use a 10x12 with little velcro tabs on the hem of the long ends just for closing. Stake it out wide in the middle of each long side, and you've got a very nice little elevated A-frame tent. Plenty of room inside, it's lots warmer, and it keeps the blowing rain out much better. I found the hex just let too much cold air or rain mist blow thru. Also, as Ed Speer points out in his book, site selection is real important; pick a sheltered site on the back side of the ridge or behind some wind-break, and even gusty winds are much less of a problem. Enjoy, MWB>
      >

      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > First post here! I think the shock cord with hooks is a great idea! Makes a lot of sense and sure beats those knots. I've not yet spent a night in my HH Explorer Deluxe with the silnylon hex fly so I'm wondering if the shock cord allows the fly to be flapy and noisy when it's windy? I have a picture in my mind it may allow the fly to flap enough to sound like a whip cracking.
      > >
      > > Thanks for all the good advice here!
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > Kerri

    • boardmanmw
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 17 9:43 AM
        Kerri,
        I posted one picture in the photos folder, titled "Quetico June 2007". Shows my 8X10 fly staked out with shock cords. The left end is pulled together, with the right side still open. Taken between intense bouts of gusty rain. You can see the bug net hanging down. I was the only hanger on the trip; all the others, in tents, got wet. As I said before, what I like about shock cords is their versatility, and how fast it all goes up, or comes down. I later moved to a more wind-sheltered site, and it only took minutes. Good luck in the rain. MWB

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "kerrilarkin" <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Lori and MWB - some good advice there!. I'm still waiting to find a place I can try hanging my hammock to test it out. Nowhere I've been recently has trees! I'm visiting friends on the North Coast of New South Wales (Australia), where it's been raining most days since Christmas - definately a good placde to have a well thought out rain fly at present, and even better for hanging - the ground is a bog!.
        >
        > Kerri

      • Kerri Larkin
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 18 1:33 AM
          Hey thanks for the pic MWB. Yes, the good 'ol rectangular tarp can be very versatile. Um, your hammock appears to be hanging very low - is that a trick of the lens or are you really that low?

          My next big challenge is finding a light, protable way of hanging in Central Australia where there are no trees. I've seen a few ideas on hammock forums, but a lot of them are quite bulky and the ski poles don't seem to get the hammock high enough for the underneath entry of the Hennessey. Has anyone here comoe up with some fantastic method?

          Regards,

          Kerri

          ________________________________
          I posted one picture in the photos folder, titled "Quetico June 2007". Shows my 8X10 fly staked out with shock cords. The left end is pulled together, with the right side still open. Taken between intense bouts of gusty rain. You can see the bug net hanging down. I was the only hanger on the trip; all the others, in tents, got wet. As I said before, what I like about shock cords is their versatility, and how fast it all goes up, or comes down. I later moved to a more wind-sheltered site, and it only took minutes. Good luck in the rain. MWB

          --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, "kerrilarkin" <kerrilarkin@ ...> wrote:

          > Thanks Lori and MWB - some good advice there!. I'm still waiting to find a place I can try hanging my hammock to test it out. Nowhere I've been recently has trees! I'm visiting friends on the North Coast of New South Wales (Australia), where it's been raining most days since Christmas - definately a good placde to have a well thought out rain fly at present, and even better for hanging - the ground is a bog!.
          >
          > Kerri

        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20 7:51 AM
            Rock climbing nuts and hexes, also there areexpandable climbers things to fit between cracks.

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 20 8:12 AM
              I would second rock climbing nuts as an alternative in a rocky
              landscape. Very easy to place and second hand ones can be got hold of
              cheaply and will be perfectly good for hanging.

              Nigel
              On 20 Apr 2009, at 15:51, Arye P. R. wrote:

              > Rock climbing nuts and hexes, also there areexpandable climbers
              > things to fit between cracks.
              >
              > Sapere Aude,
              >
              > Arye P. Rubenstein
              >
              > Imagination is more important than knowledge...
              > It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education... Albert
              > Einstein
              >
              > ________________________________

            • boardmanmw
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 22 9:00 AM
                It's the mosquito net that's hanging down--you can see the vertical zipper partially open, with the hammock faintly showing inside. I did have the hammock tied fairly low this time, but the tarp was low too, (at night anyway), on account of the blowing rain. I like to be able to sit in it low enough off the ground to put boots on and off comfortably. there's a lot of sag, but the hammock is cut 60 inches wide, so I sleep diagonally, and it doesn't sag much with my weight in it.

                Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kerri Larkin <kerrilarkin@...> wrote:

                > Hey thanks for the pic MWB. Yes, the good 'ol rectangular tarp can be very versatile. Um, your hammock appears to be hanging very low - is that a trick of the lens or are you really that low?
                >
                > My next big challenge is finding a light, protable way of hanging in Central Australia where there are no trees. I've seen a few ideas on hammock forums, but a lot of them are quite bulky and the ski poles don't seem to get the hammock high enough for the underneath entry of the Hennessey. Has anyone here comoe up with some fantastic method?
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Kerri

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 22 12:40 PM
                  Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
                  there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
                  other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
                  would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
                  lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
                  still out there if you look. Regards, MWB

                  Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.

                  Google risk hammock for more info

                  Ralph

                • Kerri Larkin
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 23 1:12 AM
                    Thanks guys! What awealth of information this forum is. Sorry to have hijacked the thread . I'll google the single pole thing - I expect I'll always have the car out there, so I think that will suffice as something sturdy to hang one end to!

                    Cheers,

                    Kerri

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 23 5:22 PM
                      Well, I did it. I am from out of town. That probably makes me an expert.

                      Rick

                      Ralph Oborn wrote:
                      > Regarding a technique to hang without trees, there's a guys website out
                      > there showing a way to suspend one end off an unguyed vertical pole. The
                      > other end has to be tied into something sturdy. You'd think an unguyed pole
                      > would just flop over, but it doesn't, as long as your center of gravity is
                      > lower than the top of the pole. Sorry, I can't find the site, but I bet it's
                      > still out there if you look. Regards, MWB
                      >
                      > Rick is the guy that is an expert on single pole guys.
                      >
                      > Google risk hammock for more info
                      >
                      > Ralph

                    • Arye P. R.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 24 8:05 AM

                        do you have any single pole techniques on your site, if so where, under which subject?

                        Arye