RE: Hammock Camping to Jodi.....HEAVY USE question..........

  • J Cornelius
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

      Thanks Christina – weight is NOT an issue – I have my backpacking hammock that I love to death and my hammock for sleeping in at home – I bought the Traveller because it was only $20 and if I didn’t like sleeping in the hammock all the time, I was only out the $20.  But I find I love it and am definitely looking at the Santiago – what’s the distance between your eyehooks???

      Thanks for the answer!

      Jodi

      Hi Jodi,

      Christina Moon here with my 2 cents worth.  I sleep in my hammock every
      night, too.  I've actually got two different ones that I choose
      between.  Neither are lightweight, thus not suitable for backpacking, so if
      that is an issue for you, then what I've got to say won't help.  One of my
      sleeping hammocks is the Byer Santiago XXL.  It's the largest one they
      make, very heavy and very sturdy, with ropes thru the fabric end
      loops.  The other one that I use more often now that the weather is warmer
      is one that I bought on eBay from Hammockjungle.  It's a woven cotton
      Brazilian hammock with nylon end strings, but still feels sturdy.  The
      Brazilian hammocks are like Mayan hammocks, only solid cloth.  I LOVE THIS
      HAMMOCK!!!  With Brazilian and Mayan hammocks, you sleep on the diagonal,
      rather than lengthwise, as in some of the camping hammocks discussed on
      this list.  Thus, I think they would work being hung in a shorter space,
      such as you describe.

      Okay, for the hanging part.  I have eye hooks screwed into ceiling joists
      catty corner from each other in my bedroom.  Per suggestions from this
      list, I had planned on mounting 2 x 4 boards, but that didn't work.  From
      the eye hooks I have chains hanging.  This gives me some flexibility as to
      how high I hang the hammock.  I still have my double bed in my bedroom and
      sometimes wind up against the bed as I hang in the hammock.  I have a rope
      knot/tie/hanger loop at each end of the hammock.  I got it from this site
      sent by Hammockjungle <http://hammockjungle.com/care>.  This loop can be
      adjusted (I did it last night) to the comfort of the sleeper.  I don't
      actually know the distance between the eye hooks, probably longer than your
      9.5 feet, but maybe if you start sleeping in another hammock, you can work
      that out.

      Here is a url for one of the Brazilian hammock auctions on eBay.  Actually,
      I'm just going to email the auction to you.  I can highly recommend both
      this hammock AND Hammockjungle.  BTW, the description of this hammock says
      that it can be hung in as little as 10 feet.

      Hope this helps.

      Christina

      Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

      May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

      May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
      May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
      May your Soul be filled with Peace.
      May your Heart be filled with Love.
      May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
      Peace Be With You Always.
                       ~~Christina Moon

    • Christina Moon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
        wrote:
        But I
        > find I love it and am definitely looking at the Santiago - what¡Çs
        the
        > distance between your eyehooks???
        >
        > Thanks for the answer!
        > Jodi

        Hi Jodi,

        You're welcome! I just went and measured the distance between the s-
        hooks (used on the ends of the rope loops that I tie onto the hammock
        ends), rather than the distance between the eye hooks (which is
        longer than your 9 1/2 feet). I hung my Brazilian cloth hammock (the
        one from Hammockjungle that I bought on eBay) and it measured approx.
        11 feet. I have the eye hooks mounted and then have a chain hanging
        from each eye hook. I hang the hammock on the chains. My Santiago
        hammock hangs on the same two chains at about the same distance
        between the ends. The wonderful thing about the Brazilian hammocks
        is that you can hang them in a shorter distance because of the way
        you lay in them ~ crossways or diagonally. I've got it down now so
        that when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I just come
        right back to the same position and fall right back to sleep. What I
        like about the cloth hammock compared to the Mayan woven string
        hammock is the solid fabric. I don't get my toenails tangled in the
        strings <grins>.

        The Santiago hammock is a heavier cloth than the Hammockjungle cloth
        hammock. I think the Santiago will work well in the winter for
        warmth. The Hammockjungle hammock is lightweight enough to be fine
        for summer sleeping. I don't have air conditioning, so rely on fans
        and open windows for cool breezes.

        I think you could hang either the Santiago or the other cloth hammock
        (if you get one like that on eBay) in 9.5 feet. The description of
        the eBay hammock says it hangs in 10 feet or more.

        The price difference between the eBay/Hammockjungle hammock and the
        Santiago is considerable. I paid $85.00 for my Santiago at Bass
        Pro. The Hammockjungle one cost around $37.95, including shipping.

        Please keep me posted on what you decide. I'll continue to help in
        any way I can.

        Christina
      • J Cornelius
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

          Dang, I see I’m still doing the Japanese thingy that only shows up in the apostrophe <shrug>  Stupid outlook – probably should change my email program but I love “I Hate Spam” for Outlook and although I bought Spam Remedy, I really love the options in I Hate Spam.

          Anyway, the Santiago is at Galyans in Buffalo for $60!!  So I guess that’s a great price.  If I find I sleep too warmly in the summer in it, I could get the other for summer and leave the Santiago for winter.  Although I do have A/C so that wouldn’t really be a problem.  Although, (what is it with me and all the “although”s??) I could just spend another $20 on the Traveller and just use it in the summer (if I could find one that didn’t have the same problem I have with this one – although (there I go again) I seriously believe I just got a “lemon” in this case.  Heard too much good on them to believe otherwise.

          Thanks for all your help here Christina – I sure am enjoying my hammock for all the time sleeping.  Nice to find someone who sleeps in one like I do.  Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to sleep in – I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

          Thanks again!

          Jodi

          (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
            wrote:
            > Thanks for all your help here Christina â€" I sure am enjoying my
            hammock for all the time sleeping. Nice to find someone who sleeps
            in one like I do. Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to
            sleep in â€" I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find
            the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

            Christina here ~~~

            Chuckling, Jodi. I haven't slept in my bed for several months. I
            plan on getting rid of it when I haven't slept in it for a few more,
            just to be on the safe side. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of
            it before now is that I don't want to have to dismantle the books at
            the top of my staircase to get the box springs down. And I don't
            think I want to throw it out the window !!! <grins>

            Actually, I'm going to be away from home for a few nights here
            shortly and am concerned that I won't be able to sleep well on a flat
            bed anymore. I used to wake up achey and sore (well, my daughter
            says it's my lousy mattress...). At any rate, since I've been
            sleeping in the hammock exclusively, I've had nary an ache or pain.

            Cheers,

            Christina
            Not to belabor the point, but I'm going to plug the <Grande Hammock
            Brazilian Cloth Hammocks> on eBay anyway. I just looked and find
            that the *buy it now* price is $32.95. I absolutely LOVE this
            hammock. Not only is it totally confortable (so is the Santiago) but
            it has a pretty fringe, too.
          • Mark Bayern
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
              Jodi

              (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

              Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                Hey for message 1995 I was aske to install a language pack. I'm
                still laughing.

                Coy Boy
                PS this should be # 2000, thats a lot of hammock talk LOL

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003

                  WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                  Thanks Mark

                  (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

                  Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.

                • tcoug7
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks Mark

                    Shoot, I'm gonna miss the Japaneese jokes! ;)

                    Tim