Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Best Rain fly/tarp to use for lightweight backpacking with hammock

  • Elizabeth Young
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8, 2009
      lpon2000 wrote:

      > there are two cheaper and lighter ways of making tarp tensioners. One
      > is to use a length of shock cord from the wise guys at
      > hammockforums.net.

      http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3731

      I just added these to my new tarp and they are so absurdly simple that I
      giggled the entire time.

      liz young
    • lpon2000
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 9, 2009
        > In both cases the basic material (nylon) has had a coating applied to
        > it. The ENO fly is coated with polyurethane and the silnyl flys have
        > been treated with silicone. Polyurethane is a heavier (more weight to
        > carry) coating than silicone coated.
        > Anything that has seams (in either material) will need seamsealing to
        > prevent the stitching lines from leaking.
        > I like silnyl better because it is lighter. However, it can be a little
        > more fragile than other materials. It is also noisier unless pitched taut.

        Polyurethane is a coating and will eventually peel off. Silnylon is nylon impregnated with silicone and won't peel.

        Silnylon does stretch/sag a little, which is why people are talking about tarp tensioners. For the ultimate lightweight tarp without sag, spinnaker would be the thing - no need for tarp tensioners, lighter than silnyl.

        I'll stick with sil - lasts longer than PU, lighter by a magnitude, packs smaller than small, and under the conditions I camp in, it works fine to keep the rain off. Under some circumstances water can mist through it, but I haven't run into fine mist yet and likely won't.