[Hammock Camping] Re: Best Rain fly/tarp to use for lightweight backpacking with hammock

  • lpon2000
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8 10:12 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Vickers <redroach@...> wrote:

      > Jacks R Better also makes self tensioning guy lines using cord and
      > surgical tubing. They are great for windy conditions where you need
      > some give in the tarp/guylines
      >
      > TV

      there are two cheaper and lighter ways of making tarp tensioners. One is to use a length of shock cord - can be tied in a loop and tied into the main guyline in such a way that if the taught loop happens to break, the guy line merely lengthens hopefully without breaking itself. Another is to use rubber O rings from the plumbing aisle between the tie out point on the tarp and the line.

      Both ideas are from the wise guys at hammockforums.net. I found the instructions for the shock cord tensioners there.

      Lori
    • Elizabeth Young
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8 9:34 PM
        lpon2000 wrote:

        > there are two cheaper and lighter ways of making tarp tensioners. One
        > is to use a length of shock cord from the wise guys at
        > hammockforums.net.

        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3731

        I just added these to my new tarp and they are so absurdly simple that I
        giggled the entire time.

        liz young
      • lpon2000
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 9 5:45 AM
          > In both cases the basic material (nylon) has had a coating applied to
          > it. The ENO fly is coated with polyurethane and the silnyl flys have
          > been treated with silicone. Polyurethane is a heavier (more weight to
          > carry) coating than silicone coated.
          > Anything that has seams (in either material) will need seamsealing to
          > prevent the stitching lines from leaking.
          > I like silnyl better because it is lighter. However, it can be a little
          > more fragile than other materials. It is also noisier unless pitched taut.

          Polyurethane is a coating and will eventually peel off. Silnylon is nylon impregnated with silicone and won't peel.

          Silnylon does stretch/sag a little, which is why people are talking about tarp tensioners. For the ultimate lightweight tarp without sag, spinnaker would be the thing - no need for tarp tensioners, lighter than silnyl.

          I'll stick with sil - lasts longer than PU, lighter by a magnitude, packs smaller than small, and under the conditions I camp in, it works fine to keep the rain off. Under some circumstances water can mist through it, but I haven't run into fine mist yet and likely won't.