  • david cook
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2009
      The idea of using a ridgeline like you suggested is a good idea. I made my hammocks this way and I've been pleased with the results. This is similar to the way the Hennesy hammocks are made. When I made my first hammock I tried hanging the hammock in different places along the ridgeline until I had a comfortable spacing. You're right about the hammock will maintain the same curve no matter how far apart the trees are. I would suggest using kevlar rope, which does not stretch. The kevlar rope is kinda of expensive, but is the only type that works. Other types of rope will stretch and depending how far apart the trees are spaced you could end up laying on the ground. You can buy kevlar rope online and I believe REI sells it. Other ropes look like kevlar, but take my word for it, they will stretch. I also made a couple of straps (tree huggers) with loops on each end that I use to wrap around the trees to protect them and then tie off the ropes to
      these.

      David