Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • Arye P. R.
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
      David

      What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
      Sapere Aude,

      Arye P. Rubenstein

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

        > David
        >
        > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
        > Sapere Aude,
        >
        > Arye P. Rubenstein

        Arye,
        I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns.com", so I found them at
        http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLOAD
        and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
        I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

        http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=7
        Hope this helps.
        David
      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
          Thanks for the reply

          A note to others browse the site b4 ordering I found one for 6.98 and a pair for 2.99
          <http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=15>
          Check their promotions also! ... caveat emptor

          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________
          > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
          > Sapere Aude,
          >
          > Arye P. Rubenstein

          Arye,
          I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
          http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
          and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
          I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

          http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
          Hope this helps.
          David

        • Roger Ries
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
            That's two for 10.99 a 2.99 savings... 5.495 a piece for two

             Later
            Roger R
            Chaska, MN

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
              your correct, my mistake

              but when I can get climbing carbianers (new and used on ebay) for ~5.00 each where is the deal?
              Note: I don't count grams & I just got 12 new aluminum climbing carabiners @3.75 Inc shipping - yes I drive a hard bargain. (Item Id:290304849804)

              Sapere Aude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein

              ________________________________

              > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
              > Sapere Aude,
              >
              > Arye P. Rubenstein

              Arye,
              I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
              http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
              and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
              I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

              http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
              Hope this helps.
              David

            • David and Barbara Elliott
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                All,
                Let me make two corrections to my own post:
                The carabiners I spoke of say "500 Kg", not 450. (And, as Arye noted, "Caveat emptor.")
                I said I was using 7/32" Amsteel. That would be overkill, indeed. It's actually 7/64" Amsteel or Amsteel Blue - still plenty strong.
                David

              • Nate
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Where are you finding the Amsteel rope?
                • Arye P. R.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Have you googled "Amsteel" there are many locations out there for it. It is just finding the right size and length. realise there are other ropes that use similar technology but under different names. If stretch is a concern the stronger the rope the less it will stretch (other factors apply here also)

                    HTH

                    <http://www.cbknot.com/ZingIt.htm>
                    <http://www.cbknot.com/Amsteel.htm>

                    <http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=448>

                    <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/rope_spectron12.htm>
                    <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/RR_cordage.htm>

                    <http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Blue-Steel-Synthetic-Winches/dp/B000PUFL4U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238620266&sr=8-1>

                    Manufacturers site:
                    <http://www.samsonrope.com/>
                    <http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=190>

                    Sapere Aude,

                    Arye P. Rubenstein

                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                      I buy it online from annapolis performance sailing
                      http://www.apsltd.com
                      but there are many on-line retailers

                      liz

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 6, 2009