Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • d2aisy2000
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 31 5:49 AM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crump <oldjoeclark@...> wrote:

      > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
      >
      > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
      >
      > Ken

      I'm glad to see that others are using Amsteel (and other strong, light hollow-braid ropes). For me one of the biggest advantages of these ropes is that I can use splices instead of knots so I get the full strength of the rope and therefore can use one of smaller diameter. The splices are adjustable when not under tension. I use strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg), to attach to tree-straps. I use a second pair of carabiners at the ends of the ridgeline to attach tarp and/or hammock. (In rainy weather I set the tarp up first and take it down last. On sunny days the quick set-up makes it easier to sit in the hammock while I eat lunch or stop for a mid-hike nap). My current rig uses 7/32 Amsteel, which may be overkill. It weighs 6.6 oz. without tree straps and adjusts for tree-to-tree distances of 14 to 35 feet.
      I'm experimenting with lighter, cheaper lines which still keep tensile strength about 3x working load.

      David Elliott
    • Arye P. R.
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31 8:04 AM
        David

        What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
        Sapere Aude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31 11:30 AM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

          > David
          >
          > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
          > Sapere Aude,
          >
          > Arye P. Rubenstein

          Arye,
          I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns.com", so I found them at
          http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLOAD
          and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
          I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

          http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=7
          Hope this helps.
          David
        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31 11:50 AM
            Thanks for the reply

            A note to others browse the site b4 ordering I found one for 6.98 and a pair for 2.99
            <http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=15>
            Check their promotions also! ... caveat emptor

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________
            > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
            > Sapere Aude,
            >
            > Arye P. Rubenstein

            Arye,
            I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
            http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
            and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
            I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

            http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
            Hope this helps.
            David

          • Roger Ries
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31 12:15 PM
              That's two for 10.99 a 2.99 savings... 5.495 a piece for two

               Later
              Roger R
              Chaska, MN

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31 3:24 PM
                your correct, my mistake

                but when I can get climbing carbianers (new and used on ebay) for ~5.00 each where is the deal?
                Note: I don't count grams & I just got 12 new aluminum climbing carabiners @3.75 Inc shipping - yes I drive a hard bargain. (Item Id:290304849804)

                Sapere Aude,

                Arye P. Rubenstein

                ________________________________

                > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                > Sapere Aude,
                >
                > Arye P. Rubenstein

                Arye,
                I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                Hope this helps.
                David

              • David and Barbara Elliott
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                  All,
                  Let me make two corrections to my own post:
                  The carabiners I spoke of say "500 Kg", not 450. (And, as Arye noted, "Caveat emptor.")
                  I said I was using 7/32" Amsteel. That would be overkill, indeed. It's actually 7/64" Amsteel or Amsteel Blue - still plenty strong.
                  David

                • Nate
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                    Where are you finding the Amsteel rope?
                  • Arye P. R.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                      Have you googled "Amsteel" there are many locations out there for it. It is just finding the right size and length. realise there are other ropes that use similar technology but under different names. If stretch is a concern the stronger the rope the less it will stretch (other factors apply here also)

                      HTH

                      <http://www.cbknot.com/ZingIt.htm>
                      <http://www.cbknot.com/Amsteel.htm>

                      <http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=448>

                      <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/rope_spectron12.htm>
                      <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/RR_cordage.htm>

                      <http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Blue-Steel-Synthetic-Winches/dp/B000PUFL4U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238620266&sr=8-1>

                      Manufacturers site:
                      <http://www.samsonrope.com/>
                      <http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=190>

                      Sapere Aude,

                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                        I buy it online from annapolis performance sailing
                        http://www.apsltd.com
                        but there are many on-line retailers

                        liz

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 6, 2009