Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • Elizabeth Young
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
      yes yes that's it!

      liz

      Kenneth Crump wrote:

      > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
      >
      > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
      > <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719>
      >
      > Ken
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Elizabeth Young <lizyoung@...
      > <mailto:lizyoung%40fenris.net>>wrote:
      >
      > > Someone else has already referred you to hammockforums.net (a fab
      > > resource) and I know that sometime on those fora there was a
      > > discussion of a continuous ridgeline or something like that. I
      > > can't find the discussion now so how much help is that? I'll keep
      > > looking.
    • d2aisy2000
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crump <oldjoeclark@...> wrote:

        > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
        >
        > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
        >
        > Ken

        I'm glad to see that others are using Amsteel (and other strong, light hollow-braid ropes). For me one of the biggest advantages of these ropes is that I can use splices instead of knots so I get the full strength of the rope and therefore can use one of smaller diameter. The splices are adjustable when not under tension. I use strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg), to attach to tree-straps. I use a second pair of carabiners at the ends of the ridgeline to attach tarp and/or hammock. (In rainy weather I set the tarp up first and take it down last. On sunny days the quick set-up makes it easier to sit in the hammock while I eat lunch or stop for a mid-hike nap). My current rig uses 7/32 Amsteel, which may be overkill. It weighs 6.6 oz. without tree straps and adjusts for tree-to-tree distances of 14 to 35 feet.
        I'm experimenting with lighter, cheaper lines which still keep tensile strength about 3x working load.

        David Elliott
      • Arye P. R.
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
          David

          What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
          Sapere Aude,

          Arye P. Rubenstein

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

            > David
            >
            > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
            > Sapere Aude,
            >
            > Arye P. Rubenstein

            Arye,
            I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns.com", so I found them at
            http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLOAD
            and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
            I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

            http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=7
            Hope this helps.
            David
          • Arye P. R.
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
              Thanks for the reply

              A note to others browse the site b4 ordering I found one for 6.98 and a pair for 2.99
              <http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=15>
              Check their promotions also! ... caveat emptor

              Sapere Aude,

              Arye P. Rubenstein

              ________________________________
              > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
              > Sapere Aude,
              >
              > Arye P. Rubenstein

              Arye,
              I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
              http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
              and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
              I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

              http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
              Hope this helps.
              David

            • Roger Ries
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                That's two for 10.99 a 2.99 savings... 5.495 a piece for two

                 Later
                Roger R
                Chaska, MN

                ________________________________

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                  your correct, my mistake

                  but when I can get climbing carbianers (new and used on ebay) for ~5.00 each where is the deal?
                  Note: I don't count grams & I just got 12 new aluminum climbing carabiners @3.75 Inc shipping - yes I drive a hard bargain. (Item Id:290304849804)

                  Sapere Aude,

                  Arye P. Rubenstein

                  ________________________________

                  > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                  > Sapere Aude,
                  >
                  > Arye P. Rubenstein

                  Arye,
                  I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                  http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                  and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                  I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                  http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                  Hope this helps.
                  David

                • David and Barbara Elliott
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 1, 2009
                    All,
                    Let me make two corrections to my own post:
                    The carabiners I spoke of say "500 Kg", not 450. (And, as Arye noted, "Caveat emptor.")
                    I said I was using 7/32" Amsteel. That would be overkill, indeed. It's actually 7/64" Amsteel or Amsteel Blue - still plenty strong.
                    David

                  • Nate
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                      Where are you finding the Amsteel rope?
                    • Arye P. R.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2, 2009
                        Have you googled "Amsteel" there are many locations out there for it. It is just finding the right size and length. realise there are other ropes that use similar technology but under different names. If stretch is a concern the stronger the rope the less it will stretch (other factors apply here also)

                        HTH

                        <http://www.cbknot.com/ZingIt.htm>
                        <http://www.cbknot.com/Amsteel.htm>

                        <http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=448>

                        <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/rope_spectron12.htm>
                        <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/RR_cordage.htm>

                        <http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Blue-Steel-Synthetic-Winches/dp/B000PUFL4U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238620266&sr=8-1>

                        Manufacturers site:
                        <http://www.samsonrope.com/>
                        <http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=190>

                        Sapere Aude,

                        Arye P. Rubenstein

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 3, 2009
                          I buy it online from annapolis performance sailing
                          http://www.apsltd.com
                          but there are many on-line retailers

                          liz

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 6, 2009