Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • Kenneth Crump
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
      Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:

      http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719

      Ken

      On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Elizabeth Young <lizyoung@...>wrote:

      > Someone else has already referred you to hammockforums.net (a fab
      > resource) and I know that sometime on those fora there was a discussion
      > of a continuous ridgeline or something like that. I can't find the
      > discussion now so how much help is that? I'll keep looking.
      >
      > Anyway, I have a structural ridgeline on my hammock - which serves to
      > produce the same sag in the hammock no matter the tree spacing.
      > I've chosen to make my tree-straps separate from my hammock since it is
      > easier for me to put my hammock up that way.
      >
      > If you decide to use a two-loops-on-a-rope as you've described below,
      > you will want to make very sure that your rope is strong enough to
      > support you in the hammock and that it is also strong enough to make up
      > for the weakening that knots always create in a rope.
      >
      > I use amsteel sailing line for my structural ridgeline. It is quite
      > slippery but also strong and seems to have minimal stretch.
      >
      > I've finally put an album up under Liz's stuff.
      >
      > liz young
      >
      > Brett wrote:
      > > My question is if anyone has hung their hammock from a single rope
      > > tied between two trees with two pre-measured loops tied in the rope.
      > > I have thought of this idea but have not tried it out. My thought is
      > > that you could determine how far apart you preferred your hammock
      > > ends to be for the slope or curve of your liking and then you could
      > > tie your loops at that distance and just tie the rope to the tree
      > > with your hammock below this rope hanging from those two loops. this
      > > would keep your hammock hanging pretty much the same way despite the
      > > distance between the trees you find.

    • Elizabeth Young
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
        yes yes that's it!

        liz

        Kenneth Crump wrote:

        > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
        >
        > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
        > <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719>
        >
        > Ken
        >
        > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Elizabeth Young <lizyoung@...
        > <mailto:lizyoung%40fenris.net>>wrote:
        >
        > > Someone else has already referred you to hammockforums.net (a fab
        > > resource) and I know that sometime on those fora there was a
        > > discussion of a continuous ridgeline or something like that. I
        > > can't find the discussion now so how much help is that? I'll keep
        > > looking.
      • d2aisy2000
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crump <oldjoeclark@...> wrote:

          > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
          >
          > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
          >
          > Ken

          I'm glad to see that others are using Amsteel (and other strong, light hollow-braid ropes). For me one of the biggest advantages of these ropes is that I can use splices instead of knots so I get the full strength of the rope and therefore can use one of smaller diameter. The splices are adjustable when not under tension. I use strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg), to attach to tree-straps. I use a second pair of carabiners at the ends of the ridgeline to attach tarp and/or hammock. (In rainy weather I set the tarp up first and take it down last. On sunny days the quick set-up makes it easier to sit in the hammock while I eat lunch or stop for a mid-hike nap). My current rig uses 7/32 Amsteel, which may be overkill. It weighs 6.6 oz. without tree straps and adjusts for tree-to-tree distances of 14 to 35 feet.
          I'm experimenting with lighter, cheaper lines which still keep tensile strength about 3x working load.

          David Elliott
        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
            David

            What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

              > David
              >
              > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
              > Sapere Aude,
              >
              > Arye P. Rubenstein

              Arye,
              I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns.com", so I found them at
              http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLOAD
              and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
              I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

              http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=7
              Hope this helps.
              David
            • Arye P. R.
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                Thanks for the reply

                A note to others browse the site b4 ordering I found one for 6.98 and a pair for 2.99
                <http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=15>
                Check their promotions also! ... caveat emptor

                Sapere Aude,

                Arye P. Rubenstein

                ________________________________
                > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                > Sapere Aude,
                >
                > Arye P. Rubenstein

                Arye,
                I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                Hope this helps.
                David

              • Roger Ries
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                  That's two for 10.99 a 2.99 savings... 5.495 a piece for two

                   Later
                  Roger R
                  Chaska, MN

                  ________________________________

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                    your correct, my mistake

                    but when I can get climbing carbianers (new and used on ebay) for ~5.00 each where is the deal?
                    Note: I don't count grams & I just got 12 new aluminum climbing carabiners @3.75 Inc shipping - yes I drive a hard bargain. (Item Id:290304849804)

                    Sapere Aude,

                    Arye P. Rubenstein

                    ________________________________

                    > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                    > Sapere Aude,
                    >
                    > Arye P. Rubenstein

                    Arye,
                    I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                    http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                    and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                    I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                    http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                    Hope this helps.
                    David

                  • David and Barbara Elliott
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 1 8:00 AM
                      All,
                      Let me make two corrections to my own post:
                      The carabiners I spoke of say "500 Kg", not 450. (And, as Arye noted, "Caveat emptor.")
                      I said I was using 7/32" Amsteel. That would be overkill, indeed. It's actually 7/64" Amsteel or Amsteel Blue - still plenty strong.
                      David

                    • Nate
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 2 11:33 AM
                        Where are you finding the Amsteel rope?
                      • Arye P. R.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 2 12:00 PM
                          Have you googled "Amsteel" there are many locations out there for it. It is just finding the right size and length. realise there are other ropes that use similar technology but under different names. If stretch is a concern the stronger the rope the less it will stretch (other factors apply here also)

                          HTH

                          <http://www.cbknot.com/ZingIt.htm>
                          <http://www.cbknot.com/Amsteel.htm>

                          <http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=448>

                          <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/rope_spectron12.htm>
                          <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/RR_cordage.htm>

                          <http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Blue-Steel-Synthetic-Winches/dp/B000PUFL4U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238620266&sr=8-1>

                          Manufacturers site:
                          <http://www.samsonrope.com/>
                          <http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=190>

                          Sapere Aude,

                          Arye P. Rubenstein

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 3 11:10 AM
                            I buy it online from annapolis performance sailing
                            http://www.apsltd.com
                            but there are many on-line retailers

                            liz

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 6 7:37 AM