Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique

  • Tom Galvin
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
      Sounds like a good idea for a permanet situation for back yard use. I haven't tried it, just seems there would be to much stretch and lots of rope to carry. Perhaps a chain would work with a come a long in the system. Lots of links for different size hammocks!

      Tom Galvin
      Commodore
      Cold Spring Kayak Club
      914-213-3421
      thebaldguyd@...
      www.cskc.org

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
        I think you're talking about structural ridgelines - I haven't tried them
        myself but have read plenty of talk about them and their benefits (to some
        users). I'd suggest you go to www.hammockforums.net and do a search on the
        phrase - I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information.

        2009/3/30 Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>

        > Sounds like a good idea for a permanet situation for back yard use. I
        > haven't tried it, just seems there would be to much stretch and lots of rope
        > to carry. Perhaps a chain would work with a come a long in the system. Lots
        > of links for different size hammocks!
        >
        > Tom Galvin
        > Commodore
        > Cold Spring Kayak Club
        > 914-213-3421
        > thebaldguyd@... <thebaldguyd%40yahoo.com>
        > www.cskc.org
        >

        > --- On Sun, 3/29/09, Brett <dirtbikenguy2@...<dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: Brett <dirtbikenguy2@... <dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
        > Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique
        > To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:56 PM
        >

        > I think its about time i introduced myself. My name is Brett, i'm 26 and
        > have been using a hammock for camping for a season although i've only made
        > it out about 4 times. I have tried it in snowy cold weather as well as
        > summer time with success. I usually hike the AT around Ny/CT/Mass .
        >
        > My question is if anyone has hung their hammock from a single rope tied
        > between two trees with two pre-measured loops tied in the rope. I have
        > thought of this idea but have not tried it out. My thought is that you could
        > determine how far apart you preferred your hammock ends to be for the slope
        > or curve of your liking and then you could tie your loops at that distance
        > and just tie the rope to the tree with your hammock below this rope hanging
        > from those two loops. this would keep your hammock hanging pretty much the
        > same way despite the distance between the trees you find.
        >
        > If this topic or detailed hanging technique has been spoken about feel free
        > to send me to the right location; as i know much has been said about hanging
        > technique.
        >
        > -Brett-

      • gary coleman
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
          don't know for sure, but seems like you'd have to use some pretty heavy duty rope to handle the weight/forces.  along a similar line, i've been wondering if you could just use a lighter piece of rope between the ends of the hammock.  ie still establishing a consistent distance between the ends and a consistent hang, but still use the straps/ropes that you already use.

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
            In order to minimize damage to the trees, I would suggest using straps at
            least around the trees. Rope with the amount of stress that is placed on
            it around a tree could cause considerable damage. When we hang, trees are
            definitely part of our infrastructure and need our care.

            > I think you're talking about structural ridgelines - I haven't tried them
            > myself but have read plenty of talk about them and their benefits (to some
            > users). I'd suggest you go to www.hammockforums.net and do a search on the
            > phrase - I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information.
            >
            > 2009/3/30 Tom Galvin <thebaldguyd@...>
            >
            >> Sounds like a good idea for a permanet situation for back yard use. I
            >> haven't tried it, just seems there would be to much stretch and lots of
            >> rope
            >> to carry. Perhaps a chain would work with a come a long in the system.
            >> Lots
            >> of links for different size hammocks!
            >>
            >> Tom Galvin
            >> Commodore
            >> Cold Spring Kayak Club
            >> 914-213-3421
            >> thebaldguyd@... <thebaldguyd%40yahoo.com>
            >> www.cskc.org
            >>

            >> --- On Sun, 3/29/09, Brett
            >> <dirtbikenguy2@...<dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
            >> wrote:
            >>
            >> From: Brett <dirtbikenguy2@... <dirtbikenguy2%40yahoo.com>>
            >> Subject: [Hammock Camping] Hammock Hanging technique
            >> To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
            >> Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 7:56 PM
            >>

            >> I think its about time i introduced myself. My name is Brett, i'm 26 and
            >> have been using a hammock for camping for a season although i've only
            >> made
            >> it out about 4 times. I have tried it in snowy cold weather as well as
            >> summer time with success. I usually hike the AT around Ny/CT/Mass .
            >>
            >> My question is if anyone has hung their hammock from a single rope tied
            >> between two trees with two pre-measured loops tied in the rope. I have
            >> thought of this idea but have not tried it out. My thought is that you
            >> could
            >> determine how far apart you preferred your hammock ends to be for the
            >> slope
            >> or curve of your liking and then you could tie your loops at that
            >> distance
            >> and just tie the rope to the tree with your hammock below this rope
            >> hanging
            >> from those two loops. this would keep your hammock hanging pretty much
            >> the
            >> same way despite the distance between the trees you find.
            >>
            >> If this topic or detailed hanging technique has been spoken about feel
            >> free
            >> to send me to the right location; as i know much has been said about
            >> hanging
            >> technique.
            >>
            >> -Brett-

            Dedicated to helping our customers experience personal growth, team
            building, and leadership development through outdoor adventure.

            "In the woods nothing will befall me... no disgrace, no calamity, which
            nature cannot repair..."

            R.W. Emerson

            http://www.riverjourneys.org
          • Elizabeth Young
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
              Someone else has already referred you to hammockforums.net (a fab
              resource) and I know that sometime on those fora there was a discussion
              of a continuous ridgeline or something like that. I can't find the
              discussion now so how much help is that? I'll keep looking.

              Anyway, I have a structural ridgeline on my hammock - which serves to
              produce the same sag in the hammock no matter the tree spacing.
              I've chosen to make my tree-straps separate from my hammock since it is
              easier for me to put my hammock up that way.

              If you decide to use a two-loops-on-a-rope as you've described below,
              you will want to make very sure that your rope is strong enough to
              support you in the hammock and that it is also strong enough to make up
              for the weakening that knots always create in a rope.

              I use amsteel sailing line for my structural ridgeline. It is quite
              slippery but also strong and seems to have minimal stretch.

              I've finally put an album up under Liz's stuff.

              liz young

              Brett wrote:
              > My question is if anyone has hung their hammock from a single rope
              > tied between two trees with two pre-measured loops tied in the rope.
              > I have thought of this idea but have not tried it out. My thought is
              > that you could determine how far apart you preferred your hammock
              > ends to be for the slope or curve of your liking and then you could
              > tie your loops at that distance and just tie the rope to the tree
              > with your hammock below this rope hanging from those two loops. this
              > would keep your hammock hanging pretty much the same way despite the
              > distance between the trees you find.
            • Kenneth Crump
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
                Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:

                http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719

                Ken

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 30, 2009
                  yes yes that's it!

                  liz

                  Kenneth Crump wrote:

                  > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
                  >
                  > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
                  > <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719>
                  >
                  > Ken
                  >
                  > On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Elizabeth Young <lizyoung@...
                  > <mailto:lizyoung%40fenris.net>>wrote:
                  >
                  > > Someone else has already referred you to hammockforums.net (a fab
                  > > resource) and I know that sometime on those fora there was a
                  > > discussion of a continuous ridgeline or something like that. I
                  > > can't find the discussion now so how much help is that? I'll keep
                  > > looking.
                • d2aisy2000
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Crump <oldjoeclark@...> wrote:

                    > Here is one single line suspension technique and discussion of it:
                    >
                    > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4719
                    >
                    > Ken

                    I'm glad to see that others are using Amsteel (and other strong, light hollow-braid ropes). For me one of the biggest advantages of these ropes is that I can use splices instead of knots so I get the full strength of the rope and therefore can use one of smaller diameter. The splices are adjustable when not under tension. I use strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg), to attach to tree-straps. I use a second pair of carabiners at the ends of the ridgeline to attach tarp and/or hammock. (In rainy weather I set the tarp up first and take it down last. On sunny days the quick set-up makes it easier to sit in the hammock while I eat lunch or stop for a mid-hike nap). My current rig uses 7/32 Amsteel, which may be overkill. It weighs 6.6 oz. without tree straps and adjusts for tree-to-tree distances of 14 to 35 feet.
                    I'm experimenting with lighter, cheaper lines which still keep tensile strength about 3x working load.

                    David Elliott
                  • Arye P. R.
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                      David

                      What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                      Sapere Aude,

                      Arye P. Rubenstein

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Arye P. R." <aprarye@...> wrote:

                        > David
                        >
                        > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                        > Sapere Aude,
                        >
                        > Arye P. Rubenstein

                        Arye,
                        I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns.com", so I found them at
                        http://www.lazerdesigns.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CLOAD
                        and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                        I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                        http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=16&idcategory=7
                        Hope this helps.
                        David
                      • Arye P. R.
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                          Thanks for the reply

                          A note to others browse the site b4 ordering I found one for 6.98 and a pair for 2.99
                          <http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=15>
                          Check their promotions also! ... caveat emptor

                          Sapere Aude,

                          Arye P. Rubenstein

                          ________________________________
                          > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                          > Sapere Aude,
                          >
                          > Arye P. Rubenstein

                          Arye,
                          I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                          http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                          and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                          I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                          http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                          Hope this helps.
                          David

                        • Roger Ries
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                            That's two for 10.99 a 2.99 savings... 5.495 a piece for two

                             Later
                            Roger R
                            Chaska, MN

                            ________________________________

                            ____________ _________ _________ __

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 31, 2009
                              your correct, my mistake

                              but when I can get climbing carbianers (new and used on ebay) for ~5.00 each where is the deal?
                              Note: I don't count grams & I just got 12 new aluminum climbing carabiners @3.75 Inc shipping - yes I drive a hard bargain. (Item Id:290304849804)

                              Sapere Aude,

                              Arye P. Rubenstein

                              ________________________________

                              > What brand are and where did you buy the 'strong, but non-climbing carabiners (450 Kg)'?
                              > Sapere Aude,
                              >
                              > Arye P. Rubenstein

                              Arye,
                              I had purchased some carabiners from Treklight. They were marked with their logo and "450 Kg" and also a very tiny "www.lazerdesigns. com", so I found them at
                              http://www.lazerdes igns.com/ Merchant2/ merchant. mvc?Screen= PROD&Product_ Code=CLOAD
                              and purchased enough to get the price down to 3.25 each. I had them engraved with a potential logo for the business I'm starting now that I'm retired. You could call lazerdesigns and see where they get them or ask if they would sell some without logos.
                              I see that they are still available from treklight, though the price has gone up. The ones I have weigh .8 oz. (22 gm).

                              http://www.trekligh tgear.com/ catalog/pc/ viewPrd.asp? idproduct= 16&idcategory= 7
                              Hope this helps.
                              David

                            • David and Barbara Elliott
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 1 8:00 AM
                                All,
                                Let me make two corrections to my own post:
                                The carabiners I spoke of say "500 Kg", not 450. (And, as Arye noted, "Caveat emptor.")
                                I said I was using 7/32" Amsteel. That would be overkill, indeed. It's actually 7/64" Amsteel or Amsteel Blue - still plenty strong.
                                David

                              • Nate
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 2 11:33 AM
                                  Where are you finding the Amsteel rope?
                                • Arye P. R.
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 2 12:00 PM
                                    Have you googled "Amsteel" there are many locations out there for it. It is just finding the right size and length. realise there are other ropes that use similar technology but under different names. If stretch is a concern the stronger the rope the less it will stretch (other factors apply here also)

                                    HTH

                                    <http://www.cbknot.com/ZingIt.htm>
                                    <http://www.cbknot.com/Amsteel.htm>

                                    <http://www.amsteelblue.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=448>

                                    <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/rope_spectron12.htm>
                                    <http://www.sailingservices.com/running_rig/RR_cordage.htm>

                                    <http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Blue-Steel-Synthetic-Winches/dp/B000PUFL4U/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238620266&sr=8-1>

                                    Manufacturers site:
                                    <http://www.samsonrope.com/>
                                    <http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?rope=190>

                                    Sapere Aude,

                                    Arye P. Rubenstein

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 3 11:10 AM
                                      I buy it online from annapolis performance sailing
                                      http://www.apsltd.com
                                      but there are many on-line retailers

                                      liz

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 6 7:37 AM