Winter pads

  • ginohav
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 8, 2009
      Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2009
        I have been using a Jacks R Better underquilt this winter and I am
        impressed.
        Very good for keeping warm

        TV
      • lpon2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 12, 2009
          That sounds like it would interfere with the way the hammock conforms to me, which is IMO what makes it so comfortable. I don't use sleeping bags and the pad I have for hammocking is flexible enough that it doesn't pop out from under me the way a stiff narrow pad would.

          I use a top quilt and an underquilt and take the evazote 41" wide pad (Gossamer Gear, about twenty bucks) to add as additional insulation if temps dip further than expected. Don't see any reason to intentionally get bulky and heavy if it's not necessary.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

          > Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?

        • Phil Maloy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 13, 2009
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

            > Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?

            I've been struggling with the whole pad issue and keeping my backside warm on those cold evenings (35-40 degrees). I found an old wool blanket from an emergency kit I bought about 12 years ago. the blanket was still in it's plastic bag and was virtually brand new...I'd never used it. I've since used it twice on some chilly evenings and it works great. I just rolled it up with my tarp and stuck it in a spare sleeping bag stuff sack. Work great. My backside was warm and toasty.

            Granted, it isn't as light as a down under quilt, but it also only cost me about $12. There is always a trade off and with a tight budget this fit the bill and works great.

            Just my $0.02.
          • Jim Mortlock
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 20, 2009
              There is quite a discussion about this at the bottom of this page on the Hennessy Hammock site. Take a peak at the discussion on radiant heat.

              http://hennessyhammock.com/wintercamping.html

              I am trying a fleece sleeping bag liner over my sleeping pad. I will let you know how it works out.

              My friend has Hennesseys Super Shelter kit for his hammock and is thrilled with it.

              Jim

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Maloy" <philmaloy@...> wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?
              > >

              > I've been struggling with the whole pad issue and keeping my backside warm on those cold evenings (35-40 degrees). I found an old wool blanket from an emergency kit I bought about 12 years ago. the blanket was still in it's plastic bag and was virtually brand new...I'd never used it. I've since used it twice on some chilly evenings and it works great. I just rolled it up with my tarp and stuck it in a spare sleeping bag stuff sack. Work great. My backside was warm and toasty.
              >
              > Granted, it isn't as light as a down under quilt, but it also only cost me about $12. There is always a trade off and with a tight budget this fit the bill and works great.
              >
              > Just my $0.02.

            • Jim Mortlock
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 20, 2009
                There is quite a discussion about this at the bottom of this page on the Hennessy Hammock site. Take a peak at the discussion on radiant heat.

                http://hennessyhammock.com/wintercamping.html

                I am trying a fleece sleeping bag liner over my sleeping pad. I will let you know how it works out.

                My friend has Hennesseys Super Shelter kit for his hammock and is thrilled with it.

                Jim

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Maloy" <philmaloy@...> wrote:

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Just a thought. Has anyone used a chase lounge cushion for a winter pad? Most of them are 74"x23"x3". It would be nothing to tie one on a winter sled. I was reading about sleeping bags with foam pads built into the bottom of them. It's a great idea for winter camping. But a bit heavy. I think the winter pad solution is to design a hammock just for winter camping. Problem is winter hammock camping is a limited market. Has anyone heard of any new promising insulating material that is light in weight?
                > >

                > I've been struggling with the whole pad issue and keeping my backside warm on those cold evenings (35-40 degrees). I found an old wool blanket from an emergency kit I bought about 12 years ago. the blanket was still in it's plastic bag and was virtually brand new...I'd never used it. I've since used it twice on some chilly evenings and it works great. I just rolled it up with my tarp and stuck it in a spare sleeping bag stuff sack. Work great. My backside was warm and toasty.
                >
                > Granted, it isn't as light as a down under quilt, but it also only cost me about $12. There is always a trade off and with a tight budget this fit the bill and works great.
                >
                > Just my $0.02.

              • Joiner Family
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 27, 2009
                  Anyone have a stock silnylon tarp for the HH ultralight backpacer's asym
                  they want to get rid of? I lost mine (long story), and like to have it for
                  lightweight trips when I don't expect storms... (I have a Speer winter tarp
                  that I enjoy - use it for winter trips / wet trips)

                • kenneth hudson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 27, 2009
                    I joined this group to find out more about hammock camping. How do you like it? Seems easier than setting up a tent. Looks like it would be good to use if a person rode a motorcycle. Is Hennesy a good brand. My wife does not like camping and this looks like it would be good for me.

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2009
                      Anyone have a stock silnylon tarp for the HH ultralight backpacer's asym

                      they want to get rid of?

                      I've got one-never use it. It's an asym sil tarp, although it came with the
                      Explorer, not the ultralight. You pay the postage and it's yours. Reply
                      via the group or to me personally at boardmanm@.... Mike

                    • kerrilarkin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 29, 2009
                        Hi Kenneth,

                        I'm very new to Hammock camping also, having just spent my first three nights in a Hennessey. I loved it!!! The first nights in years I haven't tossed and turned, and had to get up because of a sore back: I'm hooked (or should that be 'hung'). I would imagine hammocks would be great for motorcycle camping as they can be small and light, but as for choice of brand, well, that's a very personal matter. I chose the Hennessey because the bottom entry meant I could safely use it (I've got an arm problem making it difficult o get in a traditional hammock). Others prefer the Blackbird, Speer, or Clark hammocks and each has their good points. Look around here and hammockforums.net and you'll find plenty of good advice to help you choose. I bought mine having seen a single picture in a gear mag, then reading the Hennessey web site. Horses for courses, but one thing seems certain: once you hang you'll never willingly go to ground again! Good luck finding a hammock...

                        Kerri

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 29, 2009
                          Thanks Kerri. I appreciate the info.

                          ________________________________
                          I'm very new to Hammock camping also, having just spent my first three nights in a Hennessey. I loved it!!! The first nights in years I haven't tossed and turned, and had to get up because of a sore back: I'm hooked (or should that be 'hung'). I would imagine hammocks would be great for motorcycle camping as they can be small and light, but as for choice of brand, well, that's a very personal matter. I chose the Hennessey because the bottom entry meant I could safely use it (I've got an arm problem making it difficult o get in a traditional hammock). Others prefer the Blackbird, Speer, or Clark hammocks and each has their good points. Look around here and hammockforums. net and you'll find plenty of good advice to help you choose. I bought mine having seen a single picture in a gear mag, then reading the Hennessey web site. Horses for courses, but one thing seems certain: once you hang you'll never willingly go to ground again! Good luck finding a
                          hammock...

                          Kerri

                          --- In hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com, kenneth hudson <klhudson1957@ ...> wrote:

                          > I joined this group to find out more about hammock camping. How do you like it? Seems easier than setting up a tent. Looks like it would be good to use if a person rode a motorcycle. Is Hennesy a good brand. My wife does not like camping and this looks like it would be good for me.
                          >

                          > ____________ _________ _________ __

                        • Tom Frazier
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 30, 2009
                            I discovered hammock camping around the summer of 2005 and I haven't looked back at a backpacking tent since! It's also the most comfortable bed I've yet had the pleasure to sleep on; way better than my sleepnumber bed that cost me over $1k! Whereas, I've been making my own top-loading hammocks for around $50 (with netting and zipper built in)! I simply cannot say enough good things about hammocks! Though, the only draw back I can really think of is the time it takes to get used to it when you try it the first time. Someone on here once said that the key was getting a good day hike in, so that by the time you're ready to retire you're tired enough to really enjoy the hammock, which did turn out to be true for me. Before that, I was just so comfortable laying in my hammock that I couldn't get to sleep...I just wasn't tired enough and was comfy enough just laying there.

                            I now sleep full time in a hammock and have put my sleepnumber bed away for now. It's just too comfy and convenient. I purchased a hammock stand from walmart (they have several to choose from, but you have to order online and get it shipped to you or, cheaper, shipped to the store for pickup) and this set up actually saves space in my otherwise smallish apartment. Then, when I'm ready to camp, I simply take my bed with me!

                            Hennessey is a good brand, probably one of the most popular, but there are several other good camping hammocks, just be aware that there are two kinds of hammocks: 1. the backyard hammock, and 2. the camping hammock. Only the camping hammock is truly made to sleep in overnight! Most backyard hammocks are just props you erect in your yard and enjoy infrequently. They're worlds apart from a camping-specific hammock. ENO is a good brand, though you'll have to get netting for those bug-full days (my wife has one of these, we modified the support straps with longer 15' ft. one-inch-wide webbing on each side and cinch buckles), the ones I make are pretty much a clone of the Claytor Jungle Hammocks, though with a few modifications and upgrades, and several others. There are some cheapos out there, like the Byers of Maine hammocks...they're okay, but the netting on mine failed (it was my first hammock), the material was really breezy and chilly and it was just too short for me. REI stores carry the Hennessey brand and they have a 100% guarantee. If you don't like it, just bring it back for a full refund! How awesome is that?!

                            Happy Hanging!

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1 2:08 PM
                              Hi, Tom.... no hanging allowed in Fl State Parks. can you find a link to show us what your stand looks like (and cost)?

                              I somehow don't think it's here:

                              http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&search_query=hammock+stand

                              sandy in miami

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 5 5:24 PM
                                Hey!

                                Just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring this message! There were three models (I had gotten a cheaper 10 foot model, with the idea that I'd get a longer fifteen foot spanned one later) that was only available for ordering online from the Walmart website but now I've doubled checked and they all dissapeared! What the Heck!!?? So, I am searching for those and if I'm able to locate them, I'll respond to this post again!

                                Tom