Re: [Hammock Camping] Stealth Hammock Camping

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
      I am over 60 and female, and I enjoy getting out in the woods, away
      from people, now and then. I do camp with friends at State
      campgrounds, but we generally try to find a site that's secluded
      (island, or far side of a lake, away from other sites). I don't
      understand RVs and have always preferred tents (and now my hammock).
      But it's different strokes for different folks when it comes to
      camping.

      If I'm camping on private land, I ask permission if I know who owns it.
      As a landowner myself, I like to know who's on my property. If you're
      a LNT camper, there shouldn't be a problem.

      Re: risk-taking, as long as you understand and accept the risk...go for
      it. I've ridden in the back of a pickup more than a few times (mostly
      as a kid), but if the law says don't do it, I don't do it. As for
      other risks, have at it. Life is risky.

      Ratty

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
        As to the noise in public areas I have found some reusable ear plugs (not the crap foam stuff but silicon rubber) Works great on the motorcycle and when outside sleeping or at weddings with loud bands /DJs.
        Safety... a good sidearm (yes I'm over 50) but I'm not into winter hanging.
        I working on a post that will use my 600#motorcycle as a counterweight than a lamp/sign post at the other end when on the road at rest areas.

        Sapere Aude,

        Arye P. Rubenstein

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

          I don't know about you
          > but I hate camping in a campground in a tent/hammock as I find it
          > noisy. I purchased my > hammock for stealth camping. If your from
          the ought to be a LAW! > The beauty of a hammock is that you
          > can camp anywhere there are trees. Nothing beats getting back to the
          > roots of camping by going into a state forest in the winter where
          > there are no people (there ought to be a law crowd) around for miles

          I've been on the BWCA & superior hiking trail mostly lately but due to
          this year's ED (economic downturn), I have decided that paying for $
          in gas or $ for nearby state campgrounds is a waste. I live along the
          minnesota river and stealth is my plan for this year. Getting fined
          for using the Bushbuddy will probably be cheaper than the above
          mentioned $. The only problem that I have here is that I have to carry
          all of my water in. (lots of farms & Hwys nearby) I did a hike along
          the minnesota river a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.
        • LoveRise@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
            Greetings Stealth Campers!

            I'm bordering on fifty yet often forget I'm not in my teens and if you would
            like to add even more range to your stealth hammock camping ability you
            might want to check out the alpacka rafts at alpackaraft.com.

            I just bought their Yukon Yak after lusting after one for years and it is a
            less than 5 lb high quality/high cost inflatable packraft that you can take
            where no one else is able to portage or camp.

            Any other avid packrafters here?

            Celebrate Life!

            Laurie
            steps!
            %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
              Hey, Laurie...way to go. Yes it IS a bit spendy, but from someone
              who just (on Friday) bought a $13K ($14,300 w/taxes, tags) popup
              camping trailer (2009 Aliner Classic), who am I to judge !;)

              Do post some photos about your travels. What plans do you have?

              sandy in miami

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LoveRise@... wrote:

              > Greetings Stealth Campers!
              >
              > I'm bordering on fifty yet often forget I'm not in my teens and if
              you would
              > like to add even more range to your stealth hammock camping ability
              you
              > might want to check out the alpacka rafts at alpackaraft.com.
              >
              > I just bought their Yukon Yak after lusting after one for years
              and it is a
              > less than 5 lb high quality/high cost inflatable packraft that you
              can take
              > where no one else is able to portage or camp.
              >
              > Any other avid packrafters here?
              >
              > Celebrate Life!
              >
              > Laurie
              > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
              just 2 easy
              > steps!
              > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?
              redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
              3D668072%26hmpgID

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                Congratulations Sandy on the Classic, I have a 17ft Burro travel trailer
                that I love to use as well when traveling. I love boondocking when the
                opportunity arises. Yet more and more traveling light is what fascinates me even
                though by nature I also enjoy the comforts of home. I think ultimately if
                everything goes to 'pot' here in america, I would be happy living in my little burro.
                Hopefully, things won't come to that but after yesterday in the stock market
                it has me wondering.

                I do plan to do some kind of video blogging series on my travels since I'm
                also an avid photographer.

                Until then...celebrate life!

                Warmly,

                Laurie