Stealth Hammock Camping

  • ginohav
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
      I remember when riding in the back of a pickup truck and going to
      outside movies was FUN!(yes I'm over 50) If your from the crowd that
      has to have the lastest fashion to get on a bike or pay resort prices
      for a campground you will not get this post. I don't know about you
      but I hate camping in a campground in a tent/hammock as I find it
      noisy. When I camp at a campground I bring my camper. I purchased my
      hammock for stealth camping. If your from the ought to be a LAW!
      crowd this post is not for you. The beauty of a hammock is that you
      can camp anywhere there are trees. Nothing beats getting back to the
      roots of camping by going into a state forest in the winter where
      there are no people (there ought to be a law crowd) around for miles
      and setting up a hammock camp. Please! do not post why it's dangerous
      to ride in the back of a pickup or why you should camp only when
      smokey is there to protect you (you don't get it). I'm looking to
      hear your adventures of roaming around the country for free and how
      you set up your hammock camp. What make hammock did you use, gear
      selection ect. My gear, snowshoes, hammock are packed and ready to
      go. State forest here I come! Nothing beats hammock camping in the
      winter with just you and mother nature. Lets hear your stealth
      adventures. PS-here's a website www.halfassexpeditions.com you got to
      read their survival skills blogs. Some of it is very funny.
    • Rodney Diseker
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
        I am not over 50, but I agree with you. I prefer to be in the middle of nowhere.
        I get more people than I want at work.

        Sent from my iPhone

      • ratsmouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
          I am over 60 and female, and I enjoy getting out in the woods, away
          from people, now and then. I do camp with friends at State
          campgrounds, but we generally try to find a site that's secluded
          (island, or far side of a lake, away from other sites). I don't
          understand RVs and have always preferred tents (and now my hammock).
          But it's different strokes for different folks when it comes to
          camping.

          If I'm camping on private land, I ask permission if I know who owns it.
          As a landowner myself, I like to know who's on my property. If you're
          a LNT camper, there shouldn't be a problem.

          Re: risk-taking, as long as you understand and accept the risk...go for
          it. I've ridden in the back of a pickup more than a few times (mostly
          as a kid), but if the law says don't do it, I don't do it. As for
          other risks, have at it. Life is risky.

          Ratty

          I am not over 50, but I agree with you. I prefer to be in the middle
          of nowhere.

          I get more people than I want at work.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 28, 2009, at 8:38 AM, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

          I remember when riding in the back of a pickup truck20and going to

[...]

        • Arye P. R.
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
            As to the noise in public areas I have found some reusable ear plugs (not the crap foam stuff but silicon rubber) Works great on the motorcycle and when outside sleeping or at weddings with loud bands /DJs.
            Safety... a good sidearm (yes I'm over 50) but I'm not into winter hanging.
            I working on a post that will use my 600#motorcycle as a counterweight than a lamp/sign post at the other end when on the road at rest areas.

            Sapere Aude,

            Arye P. Rubenstein

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ginohav" <ginohav@...> wrote:

              I don't know about you
              > but I hate camping in a campground in a tent/hammock as I find it
              > noisy. I purchased my > hammock for stealth camping. If your from
              the ought to be a LAW! > The beauty of a hammock is that you
              > can camp anywhere there are trees. Nothing beats getting back to the
              > roots of camping by going into a state forest in the winter where
              > there are no people (there ought to be a law crowd) around for miles

              I've been on the BWCA & superior hiking trail mostly lately but due to
              this year's ED (economic downturn), I have decided that paying for $
              in gas or $ for nearby state campgrounds is a waste. I live along the
              minnesota river and stealth is my plan for this year. Getting fined
              for using the Bushbuddy will probably be cheaper than the above
              mentioned $. The only problem that I have here is that I have to carry
              all of my water in. (lots of farms & Hwys nearby) I did a hike along
              the minnesota river a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.
            • LoveRise@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
                Greetings Stealth Campers!

                I'm bordering on fifty yet often forget I'm not in my teens and if you would
                like to add even more range to your stealth hammock camping ability you
                might want to check out the alpacka rafts at alpackaraft.com.

                I just bought their Yukon Yak after lusting after one for years and it is a
                less than 5 lb high quality/high cost inflatable packraft that you can take
                where no one else is able to portage or camp.

                Any other avid packrafters here?

                Celebrate Life!

                Laurie
                steps!
                %3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)

              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Hey, Laurie...way to go. Yes it IS a bit spendy, but from someone
                  who just (on Friday) bought a $13K ($14,300 w/taxes, tags) popup
                  camping trailer (2009 Aliner Classic), who am I to judge !;)

                  Do post some photos about your travels. What plans do you have?

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, LoveRise@... wrote:

                  > Greetings Stealth Campers!
                  >
                  > I'm bordering on fifty yet often forget I'm not in my teens and if
                  you would
                  > like to add even more range to your stealth hammock camping ability
                  you
                  > might want to check out the alpacka rafts at alpackaraft.com.
                  >
                  > I just bought their Yukon Yak after lusting after one for years
                  and it is a
                  > less than 5 lb high quality/high cost inflatable packraft that you
                  can take
                  > where no one else is able to portage or camp.
                  >
                  > Any other avid packrafters here?
                  >
                  > Celebrate Life!
                  >
                  > Laurie
                  > **************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in
                  just 2 easy
                  > steps!
                  > (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1218822736x1201267884/aol?
                  redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%
                  3D668072%26hmpgID

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Congratulations Sandy on the Classic, I have a 17ft Burro travel trailer
                    that I love to use as well when traveling. I love boondocking when the
                    opportunity arises. Yet more and more traveling light is what fascinates me even
                    though by nature I also enjoy the comforts of home. I think ultimately if
                    everything goes to 'pot' here in america, I would be happy living in my little burro.
                    Hopefully, things won't come to that but after yesterday in the stock market
                    it has me wondering.

                    I do plan to do some kind of video blogging series on my travels since I'm
                    also an avid photographer.

                    Until then...celebrate life!

                    Warmly,

                    Laurie