Re: alcohol stove for hammock backpacker?

  • no_p55
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 18, 2009
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert <xflagstaff9@...>
      wrote:

      > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
      have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
      The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
      leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
      tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.

      > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
      Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
      what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
      to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
      handful of fiberglass insulation.

      > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
      alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
      aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
      interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.

      > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
      stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a hike.

      > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
      >
      > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
      is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?

      > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ

      Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
      can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
      make. Check out this YouTube link
      (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
      I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
      Happy camping

      P Thomson
      Minnestoa
    • Michael
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
        Just another place you might want to read is on the
        www.linvillegorge.net <http://www.linvillegorge.net> website under Gear
        we've been discussing Stoves
        <http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php?topic=416.0> there and
        I've been playing around with several designs and one purchased version
        from www.whitebox.com <http://www.whitebox.com>

        Also on the Hammock Forums <http://hammockforums.net/> there are more
        discussions of alcohol stoves

        Sorry if I've just repeated a bunch of links everyone has already known
        about ... new to this group.

        Michael

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "no_p55" <6thomsons@...> wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Blake Robert xflagstaff9@
        > wrote:
        > >

        > > As I reach the age at which every ounce is felt in backpacking---I
        > have begun to reduce the weight of my load by going to lighter gear.
        > The first step was in going to hammock camping. Now, I am considering
        > leaving behind my faithful Optimus 99 (sob!!!) and using either a fuel
        > tablet buring Esbit stove or making an alcohol stove.
        > >
        > > The one I am considering is found on several sites with the title
        > Cool little miniature stove-----if you google that title you will see
        > what I am planning to make and hope to carry backpacking. I just have
        > to figure where one can still find wire coat hangers and get a quarter
        > handful of fiberglass insulation.
        > >
        > > But, my real concern is that I found several sites that say that
        > alcohol stoves made of soft drink cans do not last because the
        > aluminum can not take the heat too many times---long trail hikers
        > interviewed say they are lucky if such a stove lasts 500 miles.
        > >
        > > Now that sounds like quite a bit of use---but, no matter how long a
        > stove lasts---I don't want one that lets me down partway through a
        hike.

        > > Has anyone in this forum had experience with this?
        > >
        > > How does such a stove deteriorate? Does it warn you before its use
        > is over or does it go straight from useful to gone?
        > >
        > > R Blake, Flagstaff, AZ
        > >

        > Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
        > can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
        > make. Check out this YouTube link
        > (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
        > I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
        > Happy camping
        >
        > P Thomson
        > Minnestoa

      • Blake Robert
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 19, 2009
          Thank you PT.

          I ended up going with a homemade Starlyte stove as per the instructions you get if you google Starlyte Knockoff. There is a set of three videos about this.

          You take a 2" diameter wedding favor tin-remove the transparent plastic window and put a stainless steel screen disk in the lid-they come in a perfect size to dome up. Then, you cut a larger than 2" diamter of fiberglass cloth-place this on top of-and, partially around a wad of pink fiberglass insulation and place that in the wedding tin bottom smoothing the cloth so it is an even layer under the screen when you place the lid back on.

          This makes a great stove and I found it works great with a canteen cup stand/stove. This is a lightweight "ring" that fits under a military canteen cup-with the same shape-in fact, the cup fits around the base of a military canteen and the reversed cup stand fits around the cup-so the whole assembly takes up only about 2-3% more volume than the canteen alone.

          When used as a stove/stand-you place the Starlyte on the ground-get it going-attach the stove/stand under the cup and place the assembly over the flame. The stand/stove has holes for ventilation.

          My main complaint about this design is you have to buy many times as much material as you need. The smallest fiberglass cloth I found was 8 sq. feet at Walmart---admitedly only about $4.50. I found the wedding tins at Michaels (arts & crafts) and had to buy 30!!!! The stainless steel disks I got via ebay and had to buy 25!!!! You are supposed to use pink insulation (no webstite says why yellow won't do) and my insulation is yellow so I had to buy some.

          So, I ended up with enough materials to build 25 of these stoves with excess wedding tins left after I run out of stainless steel disks-not to mention fiberglass cloth and insulation.

          But, I like the design and I am glad I made it!!!!!

          For those interested in this-google the web with search terms: Starlyte Knockoff and also try: Starlyte alcohol stove.

          The finnished stove weighs about 1/3rd of an ounce and the insulation holds the alcohol in if the stove is tipped.

          I recommend these even if you are stuck with too many. I may give mine extras out at Flagstaff Hiking Club potlucks as door prizes.

          --- On Wed, 2/18/09, no_p55 <6thomsons@...> wrote:

          Robert in reply to your question I found an alternative to the soda
          can stove that will last longer, be more robust and just as easy to
          make. Check out this YouTube link
          (http://www.youtube com/watch? v=AcrW27Leo4w) and it will show you how.
          I haven't made one yet, but I will as soon as I find the bottles.
          Happy camping

          P Thomson
          Minnestoa
        • mrbyer
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 20, 2009
            I love the Starlyte. You can't beat its fuel efficiency and it works
            great even in sub zero temps, few alcohol stoves do.

            rb