Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock camping with kids

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
      On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Tom Frazier <wildewudu@...> wrote:

      > Question for everyone on the group,
      >
      > How many of us here have experience hammock camping with kids? I've got two
      > that I plan on taking hammock camping this summer, along with my wife, but
      > this will be their first time in a hammock. I do plan on taking a slow and
      > measured approach and introduce them to the concept of sleeping in a hammock
      > to give them time to adjust.
      >
      > However, I'm curious what the approach of others has been to get children
      > comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock. Was the experience very
      > difficult? Any tips or suggestions?
      >
      > T3

      What ages?

      I regularly take my 11 year old scouts out.

      - as with all comping, practice in the back yard (or a local park)
      - Hang low so the kid can get in and out by themselves
      - Hang yourself on a shared tree so you are nearby
      - Teach them that it is NOT a swing (although they can swing gently, but
      NO pushing)
      - Hang a bag on a ridgeline or in the hammock end for books, flashlights,
      water and maybe snacks
      - Have fun!!

      Ralph Oborn

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
        One's 1.5 years old (he's sleeping under his mother on insulation and ground tarp) while the other is 4 years old. Both have been mountain camping since they were born so they're used to being outdoors in a tent but have never been in anything that even remotely resembles a hammock. I did plan on keeping the hammock low for my 4 year old to get him used to the idea of floating over the ground on a piece of cloth tied between two trees.

        > How many of us here have experience hammock camping with kids? I've got two
        > that I plan on taking hammock camping this summer, along with my wife, but
        > this will be their first time in a hammock. I do plan on taking a slow and
        > measured approach and introduce them to the concept of sleeping in a hammock
        > to give them time to adjust.
        >
        > However, I'm curious what the approach of others has been to get children
        > comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock. Was the experience very
        > difficult? Any tips or suggestions?
        >
        > T3

        What ages?

        I regularly take my 11 year old scouts out.

        - as with all comping, practice in the back yard (or a local park)
        - Hang low so the kid can get in and out by themselves
        - Hang yourself on a shared tree so you are nearby
        - Teach them that it is NOT a swing (although they can swing gently, but
        NO pushing)
        - Hang a bag on a ridgeline or in the hammock end for books, flashlights,
        water and maybe snacks
        - Have fun!!

        Ralph Oborn

      • pure mahem
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
          set one up at home really low for nap time they will play and fall asleep and get use to it really quick. Supervised of course.

          ________________________________
          One's 1.5 years old (he's sleeping under his mother on insulation and ground tarp) while the other is 4 years old. Both have been mountain camping since they were born so they're used to being outdoors in a tent but have never been in anything that even remotely resembles a hammock. I did plan on keeping the hammock low for my 4 year old to get him used to the idea of floating over the ground on a piece of cloth tied between two trees.

          > How many of us here have experience hammock camping with kids? I've got two
          > that I plan on taking hammock camping this summer, along with my wife, but
          > this will be their first time in a hammock. I do plan on taking a slow and
          > measured approach and introduce them to the concept of sleeping in a hammock
          > to give them time to adjust.
          >
          > However, I'm curious what the approach of others has been to get children
          > comfortable with the idea of sleeping in a hammock. Was the experience very
          > difficult? Any tips or suggestions?
          >
          > T3

          What ages?

          I regularly take my 11 year old scouts out.

          - as with all comping, practice in the back yard (or a local park)
          - Hang low so the kid can get in and out by themselves
          - Hang yourself on a shared tree so you are nearby
          - Teach them that it is NOT a swing (although they can swing gently, but
          NO pushing)
          - Hang a bag on a ridgeline or in the hammock end for books, flashlights,
          water and maybe snacks
          - Have fun!!

          Ralph Oborn

        • shokulan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
            The problem with kids and hammocks is that they're instantly TOO
            comfortable, won't get out, and quickly start swinging and horsing
            around. When I was in elementary school, I'd swing around in my
            hammock to go upside down and then roll around to get right-way up.
            This was in one of those fist-sized string hammocks. I practically
            lived in that thing.

            CL
          • Rebecca D Beckwith
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
              My grandsons are 5 & 2 and both have been in my hammocks since they
              were old enough to hang on to one. My rule is that if you are big
              enough to get into one, then you are big enough to sleep in one.

              I call them (the grandsons) Tarzan and Cheeta, they do play on it but
              then, they hang and swing from trees too. We encourage active play in
              all the grandchildren. They are allowed to swing on the hammock but
              not jump in it. That's the only rule.

              They love the hammocks as much as we do and I expect them to be having
              their own all throughout their lives.