to Jodi.....HEAVY USE question..........

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
      Jodi wrote:
      Ok y’all ­ I am totally happy sleeping in a hammock. Beats a bed by a
      mile!! I now have my Byer Traveller hammock hanging in my room ­ but ­
      after only a couple of weeks in it, the strands are starting to break
      (had one break last night ­ hard time going back to sleep after that
      wondering if the blooming thing was gonna crash on me in the middle of
      the night!!). I will be sleeping in this thing every night. BUT ­ here
      is the problem ­ I have to be able to hang it within a 9 ½ foot area.
      Any suggestions? Remember, this thing will be used EVERY night.
      T’anks y’all!
      Jodi

      Hi Jodi,

      Christina Moon here with my 2 cents worth. I sleep in my hammock every
      night, too. I've actually got two different ones that I choose
      between. Neither are lightweight, thus not suitable for backpacking, so if
      that is an issue for you, then what I've got to say won't help. One of my
      sleeping hammocks is the Byer Santiago XXL. It's the largest one they
      make, very heavy and very sturdy, with ropes thru the fabric end
      loops. The other one that I use more often now that the weather is warmer
      is one that I bought on eBay from Hammockjungle. It's a woven cotton
      Brazilian hammock with nylon end strings, but still feels sturdy. The
      Brazilian hammocks are like Mayan hammocks, only solid cloth. I LOVE THIS
      HAMMOCK!!! With Brazilian and Mayan hammocks, you sleep on the diagonal,
      rather than lengthwise, as in some of the camping hammocks discussed on
      this list. Thus, I think they would work being hung in a shorter space,
      such as you describe.

      Okay, for the hanging part. I have eye hooks screwed into ceiling joists
      catty corner from each other in my bedroom. Per suggestions from this
      list, I had planned on mounting 2 x 4 boards, but that didn't work. From
      the eye hooks I have chains hanging. This gives me some flexibility as to
      how high I hang the hammock. I still have my double bed in my bedroom and
      sometimes wind up against the bed as I hang in the hammock. I have a rope
      knot/tie/hanger loop at each end of the hammock. I got it from this site
      sent by Hammockjungle <http://hammockjungle.com/care>. This loop can be
      adjusted (I did it last night) to the comfort of the sleeper. I don't
      actually know the distance between the eye hooks, probably longer than your
      9.5 feet, but maybe if you start sleeping in another hammock, you can work
      that out.

      Here is a url for one of the Brazilian hammock auctions on eBay. Actually,
      I'm just going to email the auction to you. I can highly recommend both
      this hammock AND Hammockjungle. BTW, the description of this hammock says
      that it can be hung in as little as 10 feet.

      Hope this helps.

      Christina

      Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

      May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

      May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
      May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
      May your Soul be filled with Peace.
      May your Heart be filled with Love.
      May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
      Peace Be With You Always.
      ~~Christina Moon
    • J Cornelius

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
          wrote:
          But I
          > find I love it and am definitely looking at the Santiago - what¡Çs
          the
          > distance between your eyehooks???
          >
          > Thanks for the answer!
          > Jodi

          Hi Jodi,

          You're welcome! I just went and measured the distance between the s-
          hooks (used on the ends of the rope loops that I tie onto the hammock
          ends), rather than the distance between the eye hooks (which is
          longer than your 9 1/2 feet). I hung my Brazilian cloth hammock (the
          one from Hammockjungle that I bought on eBay) and it measured approx.
          11 feet. I have the eye hooks mounted and then have a chain hanging
          from each eye hook. I hang the hammock on the chains. My Santiago
          hammock hangs on the same two chains at about the same distance
          between the ends. The wonderful thing about the Brazilian hammocks
          is that you can hang them in a shorter distance because of the way
          you lay in them ~ crossways or diagonally. I've got it down now so
          that when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I just come
          right back to the same position and fall right back to sleep. What I
          like about the cloth hammock compared to the Mayan woven string
          hammock is the solid fabric. I don't get my toenails tangled in the
          strings <grins>.

          The Santiago hammock is a heavier cloth than the Hammockjungle cloth
          hammock. I think the Santiago will work well in the winter for
          warmth. The Hammockjungle hammock is lightweight enough to be fine
          for summer sleeping. I don't have air conditioning, so rely on fans
          and open windows for cool breezes.

          I think you could hang either the Santiago or the other cloth hammock
          (if you get one like that on eBay) in 9.5 feet. The description of
          the eBay hammock says it hangs in 10 feet or more.

          The price difference between the eBay/Hammockjungle hammock and the
          Santiago is considerable. I paid $85.00 for my Santiago at Bass
          Pro. The Hammockjungle one cost around $37.95, including shipping.

          Please keep me posted on what you decide. I'll continue to help in
          any way I can.

          Christina
        • J Cornelius
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003

            Dang, I see I’m still doing the Japanese thingy that only shows up in the apostrophe <shrug>  Stupid outlook – probably should change my email program but I love “I Hate Spam” for Outlook and although I bought Spam Remedy, I really love the options in I Hate Spam.

            Anyway, the Santiago is at Galyans in Buffalo for $60!!  So I guess that’s a great price.  If I find I sleep too warmly in the summer in it, I could get the other for summer and leave the Santiago for winter.  Although I do have A/C so that wouldn’t really be a problem.  Although, (what is it with me and all the “although”s??) I could just spend another $20 on the Traveller and just use it in the summer (if I could find one that didn’t have the same problem I have with this one – although (there I go again) I seriously believe I just got a “lemon” in this case.  Heard too much good on them to believe otherwise.

            Thanks for all your help here Christina – I sure am enjoying my hammock for all the time sleeping.  Nice to find someone who sleeps in one like I do.  Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to sleep in – I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

            Thanks again!

            Jodi

            (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
              wrote:
              > Thanks for all your help here Christina â€" I sure am enjoying my
              hammock for all the time sleeping. Nice to find someone who sleeps
              in one like I do. Although (there I go) you do still have a bed to
              sleep in â€" I do have a recliner with heat and massage should I find
              the need to sleep somewhere other than the hammock!! LOL

              Christina here ~~~

              Chuckling, Jodi. I haven't slept in my bed for several months. I
              plan on getting rid of it when I haven't slept in it for a few more,
              just to be on the safe side. The only reason I haven't gotten rid of
              it before now is that I don't want to have to dismantle the books at
              the top of my staircase to get the box springs down. And I don't
              think I want to throw it out the window !!! <grins>

              Actually, I'm going to be away from home for a few nights here
              shortly and am concerned that I won't be able to sleep well on a flat
              bed anymore. I used to wake up achey and sore (well, my daughter
              says it's my lousy mattress...). At any rate, since I've been
              sleeping in the hammock exclusively, I've had nary an ache or pain.

              Cheers,

              Christina
              Not to belabor the point, but I'm going to plug the <Grande Hammock
              Brazilian Cloth Hammocks> on eBay anyway. I just looked and find
              that the *buy it now* price is $32.95. I absolutely LOVE this
              hammock. Not only is it totally confortable (so is the Santiago) but
              it has a pretty fringe, too.
            • Mark Bayern
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                Jodi

                (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

                Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.
              • Coy
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Hey for message 1995 I was aske to install a language pack. I'm
                  still laughing.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS this should be # 2000, thats a lot of hammock talk LOL

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003

                    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                    Thanks Mark

                    (Btw, did this font take care of the apostrophe thingy??)

                    Apparently it did -- I was able to read your message without getting the 'load a new language pack' dialog.

                  • tcoug7
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2003
                      wrote:

                      > Thanks Mark

                      Shoot, I'm gonna miss the Japaneese jokes! ;)

                      Tim