Re: [Hammock Camping] JRB Hammock HUT (was eno hammocks

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
      Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

      sandy in miami

      > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
      couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
      like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
      that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
      Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
      coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
      she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
      *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
      desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
      the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

      > T3

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
        Any chance of photos (with closeups!) of your cinch straps?

        sandy in miami

        > I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the
        cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in
        design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support
        webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-
        fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap
        of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double
        looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after
        purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock
        rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were
        too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra
        components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything
        attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the
        webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one
        and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of
        the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and
        I'm all set to crash! ;o)

      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
          javierbergantinos wrote:
          > Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
          > very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
          > and weigh next to nothing.

          I bought them, too, and think they're great!

          I'm very keen on weight and they seem to be the lightest
          "mechanical" solution to hanging a webbing strap hammock. Generally, I
          have no problem tying
          Speer's 4 wrap knot (can't loose or break a knot) but I wanted to
          simplify adjusting the hang angle without having to tie and untie knots.

          I have a few items from both Speer and the Jacks and have nothing but
          high praise for both businesses.
          http://www.speerhammocks.com/
          http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

          Rich

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
            I'll definitely give my take on the Hut once I receive it! ;o) Will be awhile before I get a chance to put it to use (will start in May) and judge it based on performance. Indeed, it *is* very spendy but I figured that I should get it while it's still on sale!! ;o)

            T3

            Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

            sandy in miami

            > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
            couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
            like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
            that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
            Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
            coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
            she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
            *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
            desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
            the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

            > T3

          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
              Yup...I'll take some pics here in the next few days and get them posted to the group's website (and send the group the link) so you can see the set up. ;o) I adapted all my hammocks for the same 1" webbing set up with cinch buckles and carabiners...love them!!

              T3