Re: [Hammock Camping] eno hammocks

  • javierbergantinos
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
      Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
      very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
      and weigh next to nothing. Link below is to a bespoke insulating
      solution which I'm thinking of getting - the reviews seem very good...

      http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=468269

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

      > Cinch buckles, a 30 ft Polypro simple sling from strap works with a
      2 inch loop, and 2 biners makes life real simple. Cut the simple sling
      exactly in half and heat seal the cut and your good to go you got your
      straps for each end 15 ft long each. The biners are optional but they
      do make everything go just a bit quicker, smoother and easier as said
      real simple.

      > ________________________________

      at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell.
      The price is sure right. I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap"
      tree huggers.. They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

      > Bill in Texas

    • lpon2000
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
        A hammock hut won't insulate much but will keep rain off you. Put a
        pad in the hammock - that will insulate your body and keep you warm.

        > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
        couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
        like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
        that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
        Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
        coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
        she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
        *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
        desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
        the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

        > T3

      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
          Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

          sandy in miami

          > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
          couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
          like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
          that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
          Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
          coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
          she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
          *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
          desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
          the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

          > T3

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
            Any chance of photos (with closeups!) of your cinch straps?

            sandy in miami

            > I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the
            cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in
            design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support
            webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-
            fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap
            of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double
            looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after
            purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock
            rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were
            too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra
            components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything
            attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the
            webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one
            and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of
            the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and
            I'm all set to crash! ;o)

          • Richard Perlman
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
              javierbergantinos wrote:
              > Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
              > very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
              > and weigh next to nothing.

              I bought them, too, and think they're great!

              I'm very keen on weight and they seem to be the lightest
              "mechanical" solution to hanging a webbing strap hammock. Generally, I
              have no problem tying
              Speer's 4 wrap knot (can't loose or break a knot) but I wanted to
              simplify adjusting the hang angle without having to tie and untie knots.

              I have a few items from both Speer and the Jacks and have nothing but
              high praise for both businesses.
              http://www.speerhammocks.com/
              http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

              Rich

            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                I'll definitely give my take on the Hut once I receive it! ;o) Will be awhile before I get a chance to put it to use (will start in May) and judge it based on performance. Indeed, it *is* very spendy but I figured that I should get it while it's still on sale!! ;o)

                T3

                Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

                sandy in miami

                > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
                couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
                like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
                that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
                Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
                coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
                she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
                *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
                desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
                the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                > T3

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Yup...I'll take some pics here in the next few days and get them posted to the group's website (and send the group the link) so you can see the set up. ;o) I adapted all my hammocks for the same 1" webbing set up with cinch buckles and carabiners...love them!!

                  T3