Re: [Hammock Camping] eno hammocks

  • javierbergantinos
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 18 12:43 AM
      Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
      very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
      and weigh next to nothing. Link below is to a bespoke insulating
      solution which I'm thinking of getting - the reviews seem very good...

      http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=468269

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

      > Cinch buckles, a 30 ft Polypro simple sling from strap works with a
      2 inch loop, and 2 biners makes life real simple. Cut the simple sling
      exactly in half and heat seal the cut and your good to go you got your
      straps for each end 15 ft long each. The biners are optional but they
      do make everything go just a bit quicker, smoother and easier as said
      real simple.

      > ________________________________

      at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell.
      The price is sure right. I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap"
      tree huggers.. They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

      > Bill in Texas

    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 18 1:01 AM
        I'm just used to the feel of ripstop nylon as that's what my claytor is made of and the two hammocks I've made thus far are also 1.9 oz ripstop nylon. The Eno's aren't, from what I can tell, made of ripstop material, but out of some thinner material (but supposed to be made of a parachute material?); there's definitely more fabric stretch and upon closer inspection it became apparent that the doublenest is just standard 5' wide material with two "wings", about 8" wide each, triple flat-seam sewed onto either side of the hammock to make it wider. I'm thinking I'm going to try an Eno doublenest clone (with the exception of a sewed on netting w/zipper...I love those things) and sew some extra material on either sides of a clone made of ripstop nylon. The body (5' ft. wide material) supports all of the weight while the extra sewn on sides don't have to support the majority of the weight so shouldn't be too bad!

        We had to use the full measure of our 30' ft. webbing so the hammock wasn't as loose as it should have been, but we were just curious to see what the material felt like and won't really take it on a test camping run until probably July because our kids will be coming with us (2 years and 4 years) and nights in the mountains can still get down to the 40's at night in the middle of summer; me, however, I'm a different story. I'm heading out starting May---I like having a natural refridgerator (snow) everywhere! I can have more fresh food in the early mountain spring! :oD

        I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and I'm all set to crash! ;o)

        From: egiese01 <egiese01@yahoo. com>
        Subject: [Hammock Camping] eno hammocks
        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 11:07 PM

        these any good?? looking to hang in the summer with one of these forget
        the tent this yr.

      • lpon2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 18 6:07 AM
          A hammock hut won't insulate much but will keep rain off you. Put a
          pad in the hammock - that will insulate your body and keep you warm.

          > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
          couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
          like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
          that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
          Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
          coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
          she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
          *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
          desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
          the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

          > T3

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 18 8:11 AM
            Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

            sandy in miami

            > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
            couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
            like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
            that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
            Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
            coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
            she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
            *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
            desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
            the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

            > T3

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 18 8:16 AM
              Any chance of photos (with closeups!) of your cinch straps?

              sandy in miami

              > I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the
              cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in
              design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support
              webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-
              fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap
              of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double
              looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after
              purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock
              rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were
              too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra
              components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything
              attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the
              webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one
              and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of
              the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and
              I'm all set to crash! ;o)

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 18 8:32 AM
                javierbergantinos wrote:
                > Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
                > very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
                > and weigh next to nothing.

                I bought them, too, and think they're great!

                I'm very keen on weight and they seem to be the lightest
                "mechanical" solution to hanging a webbing strap hammock. Generally, I
                have no problem tying
                Speer's 4 wrap knot (can't loose or break a knot) but I wanted to
                simplify adjusting the hang angle without having to tie and untie knots.

                I have a few items from both Speer and the Jacks and have nothing but
                high praise for both businesses.
                http://www.speerhammocks.com/
                http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

                Rich

              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 18 7:56 PM
                  I'll definitely give my take on the Hut once I receive it! ;o) Will be awhile before I get a chance to put it to use (will start in May) and judge it based on performance. Indeed, it *is* very spendy but I figured that I should get it while it's still on sale!! ;o)

                  T3

                  Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

                  sandy in miami

                  > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
                  couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
                  like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
                  that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
                  Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
                  coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
                  she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
                  *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
                  desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
                  the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                  > T3

                • Tom Frazier
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 18 7:58 PM
                    Yup...I'll take some pics here in the next few days and get them posted to the group's website (and send the group the link) so you can see the set up. ;o) I adapted all my hammocks for the same 1" webbing set up with cinch buckles and carabiners...love them!!

                    T3