Re: [Hammock Camping] eno hammocks

  • Sam Wilson
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 17, 2009
      yes veary good i have one nice and light

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 17, 2009
        Hi,

        Funny, I got the new Spring "NRS" catalog today and was just looking at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell.  The price is sure right.  I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap" tree huggers.  They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

        Bill in Texas

        From: egiese01 <egiese01@yahoo. com>

        To: hammockcamping@ yahoogroups. com

        Date: Sunday, February 8, 2009, 11:07 PM

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 17, 2009
          buy the slap straps makes life a lot easyer

          Funny, I got the new Spring "NRS" catalog today and was just looking at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell.  The price is sure right.  I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap" tree huggers..  They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

          Bill in Texas

          yes veary good i have one nice and light

          these any good?? looking to hang in the summer with one of these forget

          the tent this yr.

        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 17, 2009
            I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy" like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily, she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

            T3

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 17, 2009
              Nawwww, cinch buckles makes life a lot easier. ;o)

              buy the slap straps makes life a lot easyer

              Funny, I got the new Spring "NRS" catalog today and was just looking at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell. The price is sure right. I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap" tree huggers.. They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

              Bill in Texas

              yes veary good i have one nice and light

              these any good?? looking to hang in the summer with one of these forget

              the tent this yr.

            • Arye P. R.
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                with doublenest size hammocks you may want to consider hanging it a little higher with a bit mere sag so you can lay in it more on the diagonal if not across it instead of end to end. It is because of the way it is put together and its size that it appears to 'sag & stretch' a lot. That is what I do with the doublenest size and it is much better than end to end.

                YES to cinch or double 'D' or 'O' rings buckles !

                Sapere Aude,

                Arye P. Rubenstein

                ________________________________
                I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy" like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily, she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                T3

                yes veary good i have one nice and light

                these any good?? looking to hang in the summer with one of these forget
                the tent this yr.

              • pure mahem
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Cinch buckles, a 30 ft Polypro simple sling from strap works with a 2 inch loop, and 2 biners makes life real simple. Cut the simple sling exactly in half and heat seal the cut and your good to go you got your straps for each end 15 ft long each. The biners are optional but they do make everything go just a bit quicker, smoother and easier as said real simple.

                  ________________________________
                  Nawwww, cinch buckles makes life a lot easier. ;o)

                  buy the slap straps makes life a lot easyer

                  Funny, I got the new Spring "NRS" catalog today and was just looking at both the ENO single (16 oz) and double (20 oz) Hammock they sell. The price is sure right. I had a good look at their ENO "Slap Strap" tree huggers.. They weigh in at about 5 ounces.

                  Bill in Texas

                  yes veary good i have one nice and light

                  these any good?? looking to hang in the summer with one of these forget

                  the tent this yr.

                • javierbergantinos
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
                    very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
                    and weigh next to nothing. Link below is to a bespoke insulating
                    solution which I'm thinking of getting - the reviews seem very good...

                    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=468269

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, pure mahem <pure_mahem@...> wrote:

                    > Cinch buckles, a 30 ft Polypro simple sling from strap works with a
                    2 inch loop, and 2 biners makes life real simple. Cut the simple sling
                    exactly in half and heat seal the cut and your good to go you got your
                    straps for each end 15 ft long each. The biners are optional but they
                    do make everything go just a bit quicker, smoother and easier as said
                    real simple.

                    > ________________________________

                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                      I'm just used to the feel of ripstop nylon as that's what my claytor is made of and the two hammocks I've made thus far are also 1.9 oz ripstop nylon. The Eno's aren't, from what I can tell, made of ripstop material, but out of some thinner material (but supposed to be made of a parachute material?); there's definitely more fabric stretch and upon closer inspection it became apparent that the doublenest is just standard 5' wide material with two "wings", about 8" wide each, triple flat-seam sewed onto either side of the hammock to make it wider. I'm thinking I'm going to try an Eno doublenest clone (with the exception of a sewed on netting w/zipper...I love those things) and sew some extra material on either sides of a clone made of ripstop nylon. The body (5' ft. wide material) supports all of the weight while the extra sewn on sides don't have to support the majority of the weight so shouldn't be too bad!

                      We had to use the full measure of our 30' ft. webbing so the hammock wasn't as loose as it should have been, but we were just curious to see what the material felt like and won't really take it on a test camping run until probably July because our kids will be coming with us (2 years and 4 years) and nights in the mountains can still get down to the 40's at night in the middle of summer; me, however, I'm a different story. I'm heading out starting May---I like having a natural refridgerator (snow) everywhere! I can have more fresh food in the early mountain spring! :oD

                      I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and I'm all set to crash! ;o)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                        A hammock hut won't insulate much but will keep rain off you. Put a
                        pad in the hammock - that will insulate your body and keep you warm.

                        > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
                        couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
                        like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
                        that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
                        Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
                        coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
                        she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
                        *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
                        desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
                        the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                        > T3

                      • Sandy Kramer
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                          Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

                          sandy in miami

                          > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
                          couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
                          like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
                          that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
                          Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
                          coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
                          she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
                          *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
                          desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
                          the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                          > T3

                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                            Any chance of photos (with closeups!) of your cinch straps?

                            sandy in miami

                            > I had considered the climbing o-rings (smc?) but decided that the
                            cinch buckle had less pieces, less weight, and was much simpler in
                            design. I do have loops sewn into the other ends of my support
                            webbing onto which I have carabiners looped through for lightning-
                            fast tree attachment (a couple wraps of the webbing and a quick snap
                            of the carabiner and I'm up!). I *was* using the classical double
                            looped webbing tree huggers when I started hammocking after
                            purchasing a Byer....and used it when I was still using the stock
                            rope with the claytor but it quickly became apparent that they were
                            too short and I grew tired of constantly keeping track of extra
                            components. When camping I want my life simpler!! With everything
                            attached to the hammock all I have to do is pull out one of the
                            webbing carabiners, attach that end to a tree, pull out the other one
                            and attach it to another tree and then pull on the opposite ends of
                            the webbing--attached to the cinch buckles---give a little tug and
                            I'm all set to crash! ;o)

                          • Richard Perlman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                              javierbergantinos wrote:
                              > Anyone tried the Jacks R Better Tri Glides? I bought a couple and am
                              > very pleased with them - they make it really easy to adjust your hang
                              > and weigh next to nothing.

                              I bought them, too, and think they're great!

                              I'm very keen on weight and they seem to be the lightest
                              "mechanical" solution to hanging a webbing strap hammock. Generally, I
                              have no problem tying
                              Speer's 4 wrap knot (can't loose or break a knot) but I wanted to
                              simplify adjusting the hang angle without having to tie and untie knots.

                              I have a few items from both Speer and the Jacks and have nothing but
                              high praise for both businesses.
                              http://www.speerhammocks.com/
                              http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

                              Rich

                            • Tom Frazier
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                                I'll definitely give my take on the Hut once I receive it! ;o) Will be awhile before I get a chance to put it to use (will start in May) and judge it based on performance. Indeed, it *is* very spendy but I figured that I should get it while it's still on sale!! ;o)

                                T3

                                Pl give us your review on the Hut...Looks cool, but spendy!!

                                sandy in miami

                                > I bought my wife an Eno doublenest hammock and we strapped it to
                                couple of tree and tried it out last weekend. It's very "stretchy"
                                like it needs time to settle and adjust to your body, but will say
                                that it's very comfortable. I ordered a Hammock Hut from Jacks R
                                Better so I'm hoping that will help reduce, due to more complete
                                coverage, any cold spots on the bottom side, but we'll see. Luckily,
                                she'll primarily use it in the middle of summer when the weather is
                                *hot* and nice so a breezy bottom may not be that bad; even
                                desireable! Looking at the size difference between the doublenest and
                                the singlenest, though, I'd go with the doublenest hands down.

                                > T3

                              • Tom Frazier
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 18, 2009
                                  Yup...I'll take some pics here in the next few days and get them posted to the group's website (and send the group the link) so you can see the set up. ;o) I adapted all my hammocks for the same 1" webbing set up with cinch buckles and carabiners...love them!!

                                  T3