Hammock Testbed

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2009
      Somewhat related to the "Tall Guy..." thread (I'm 6'2" and until
      recently weighed upwards of 220) I also had questions about hammock
      sizing and fit for someone my size. After reading some stuff over on
      the Hammock Forums (see the 'fabric length' thread) a light bulb went
      off in my head and I put together a testbed that allows me to fiddle
      with the hang of a test hammock. I posted some pictures in the
      "Hammock Testbed" folder of the Photos section here.

      Basically, the testbed is a gathered end hammock that is longer than I
      expect to need for a good fit, tied off on each end with a double
      sheet bend for simplicity. Before hanging it, I slipped a steel
      "napkin" ring over each end of the hammock. Then it's hung using
      descender rings that allow me to connect some 550 cord to make an
      adjustable ridge line secured with a bowline at the fixed end, and
      some round turns around the descender ring at the other end, which
      adds enough friction that a tautline hitch can grip sufficiently.

      End result as a test setup that lets you control the ridgeline length,
      the effective hammock length (slide both napkin rings in or out) and
      the tilt of the lay, i.e., the relative height of foot end to head end
      (slide one ring inward, the other outward).

      This gives a way to play with the hang with little fuss, to see what
      might work for you.

      Hope this is useful to someone. :)

      Cheers!
      Chuck
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2009
        End result as a test setup that lets you control the ridgeline length,
        the effective hammock length (slide both napkin rings in or out) and
        the tilt of the lay, i.e., the relative height of foot end to head end
        (slide one ring inward, the other outward).

        This gives a way to play with the hang with little fuss, to see what
        might work for you.

        Hope this is useful to someone. :)

        Cheers!
        Chuck