Re: [Hammock Camping] Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to

  • Richard Perlman
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
      I have a Hyperlight and an Explorer Ultralight. When getting in and
      out, sometimes the velcro on the slit scrapes your legs. I could not
      imaging how a zipper would feel!

      I've never had any problem with the slit staying open. It always seems
      to close up just fine.
      Rich

      shokulan wrote:
      > Hi Rosaleen,
      >
      > Thanks for setting the record straight. I read through all the pages
      > in the Hennessey Hammock website a few years ago, but did not go back
      > to fact check when making my post.
      >
      > A zipper in the entry is a zipper in a highly stressed spot. I don't
      > know how long it would last. It's probably best for the zipper if it
      > opens from bottom to top.
      >
      > It's these snags with zippers that gives me second thoughts about
      > putting a zipper in the netting.
      >
      > CL
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
      > <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Hi, guys-
      >>
      >> A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.
      >>
      >> No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a
      >>
      > few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy
      > did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They
      > had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the
      > zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are
      > not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons
      > over snaps and zippers, btw.
      >
      >> The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I
      >>
      > don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots.
      > I think the latter.
      >
      >> Regards,
      >>
      >> Rosaleen

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
        Hi, Rich-

        Try grabbing the entry edge and rolling the Velcro under and away from you as you clear the entrance. It might help the scraping issue.

        Rosaleen

        Re: Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to
        Posted by: "Richard Perlman" richard@...<mailto:richard@...> montclair2525

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
          Zippers on misquito netting: due to the fact that one side of the netting is almost always under tension it is very easy to zip and unzip the netting. In fact, I have never ever been able to "catch" the zipper. Now my high end down sleeping bag zipper, I rarely am able to zip or unzip it without getting it to catch.

          Just some feedback for you to think about.

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
            Thank you Paul,
            I am thinking. It won't hurt to put in a side zipper entry and leave the
            bottom entry as is till I see what I works best for me.
            Rogene
            .
          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
              I have a claytor jungle hammock with a large (#5?) ykk zipper and a couple that I have made (a 7 footer for my three year old to grow into and another one for myself as a spare or as a primary when I want no-see-um as opposed to the mosquito netting on my claytor JH) with a #3 ykk zipper (tied cord pulls to them) and have had zero problems with the zippers! I actually like the #3's better than the bigger ones as they're easier to open and close (smoother).

              I'm with Paul on sleeping bag zippers. Recently I managed to get my no-snag zipper on my marmot bag to snag and part of it ripped off (happened during half-sleep, heh)--just got finished repairing that yesterday! ....But zippers on my hammocks? No problem!

              T3