Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to

  • shokulan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hi Rosaleen,

      Thanks for setting the record straight. I read through all the pages
      in the Hennessey Hammock website a few years ago, but did not go back
      to fact check when making my post.

      A zipper in the entry is a zipper in a highly stressed spot. I don't
      know how long it would last. It's probably best for the zipper if it
      opens from bottom to top.

      It's these snags with zippers that gives me second thoughts about
      putting a zipper in the netting.

      CL

      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

      > Hi, guys-
      >
      > A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.
      >
      > No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a
      few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy
      did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They
      had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the
      zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are
      not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons
      over snaps and zippers, btw.

      > The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I
      don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots.
      I think the latter.

      > Regards,
      >
      > Rosaleen
    • Richard Perlman
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
        I have a Hyperlight and an Explorer Ultralight. When getting in and
        out, sometimes the velcro on the slit scrapes your legs. I could not
        imaging how a zipper would feel!

        I've never had any problem with the slit staying open. It always seems
        to close up just fine.
        Rich

        shokulan wrote:
        > Hi Rosaleen,
        >
        > Thanks for setting the record straight. I read through all the pages
        > in the Hennessey Hammock website a few years ago, but did not go back
        > to fact check when making my post.
        >
        > A zipper in the entry is a zipper in a highly stressed spot. I don't
        > know how long it would last. It's probably best for the zipper if it
        > opens from bottom to top.
        >
        > It's these snags with zippers that gives me second thoughts about
        > putting a zipper in the netting.
        >
        > CL
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
        > <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Hi, guys-
        >>
        >> A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.
        >>
        >> No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a
        >>
        > few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy
        > did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They
        > had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the
        > zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are
        > not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons
        > over snaps and zippers, btw.
        >
        >> The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I
        >>
        > don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots.
        > I think the latter.
        >
        >> Regards,
        >>
        >> Rosaleen

      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
          Hi, Rich-

          Try grabbing the entry edge and rolling the Velcro under and away from you as you clear the entrance. It might help the scraping issue.

          Rosaleen

          Re: Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to
          Posted by: "Richard Perlman" richard@...<mailto:richard@...> montclair2525

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
            Zippers on misquito netting: due to the fact that one side of the netting is almost always under tension it is very easy to zip and unzip the netting. In fact, I have never ever been able to "catch" the zipper. Now my high end down sleeping bag zipper, I rarely am able to zip or unzip it without getting it to catch.

            Just some feedback for you to think about.

          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
              Thank you Paul,
              I am thinking. It won't hurt to put in a side zipper entry and leave the
              bottom entry as is till I see what I works best for me.
              Rogene
              .
            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
                I have a claytor jungle hammock with a large (#5?) ykk zipper and a couple that I have made (a 7 footer for my three year old to grow into and another one for myself as a spare or as a primary when I want no-see-um as opposed to the mosquito netting on my claytor JH) with a #3 ykk zipper (tied cord pulls to them) and have had zero problems with the zippers! I actually like the #3's better than the bigger ones as they're easier to open and close (smoother).

                I'm with Paul on sleeping bag zippers. Recently I managed to get my no-snag zipper on my marmot bag to snag and part of it ripped off (happened during half-sleep, heh)--just got finished repairing that yesterday! ....But zippers on my hammocks? No problem!

                T3