Re: Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hi, guys-

      A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.

      No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons over snaps and zippers, btw.

      The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots. I think the latter.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      Re: Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to
      Posted by: "shokulan" caralinb@...<mailto:caralinb@...> shokulan
      Date: Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:49 pm ((PST))

      Hi Rogene,

      I don't think I've got restless legs, but I move around a lot in my
      hammock and don't always sleep with both legs off to the right. So,
      I, too, have a tendency to stick my foot through the velcro. One
      thing I do is make sure the velcro is really sealed shut. This helps
      prevent accidental openings. For me, though, an occasional heel
      through the opening isn't really a problem. I've yet to wake up with
      one leg hanging out to feed mosquitoes!

      Apparently the early Hennessey Hammocks had zippers instead of velcro.
      They were removed as unnecessarily heavy. Supposedly, your weight is
      enough to keep the slit closed and, apparently, the hyperlite hammocks
      do not even have the velcro.

      (SNIP)

    • shokulan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
        Hi Rosaleen,

        Thanks for setting the record straight. I read through all the pages
        in the Hennessey Hammock website a few years ago, but did not go back
        to fact check when making my post.

        A zipper in the entry is a zipper in a highly stressed spot. I don't
        know how long it would last. It's probably best for the zipper if it
        opens from bottom to top.

        It's these snags with zippers that gives me second thoughts about
        putting a zipper in the netting.

        CL

        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > Hi, guys-
        >
        > A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.
        >
        > No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a
        few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy
        did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They
        had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the
        zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are
        not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons
        over snaps and zippers, btw.

        > The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I
        don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots.
        I think the latter.

        > Regards,
        >
        > Rosaleen
      • Richard Perlman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2009
          I have a Hyperlight and an Explorer Ultralight. When getting in and
          out, sometimes the velcro on the slit scrapes your legs. I could not
          imaging how a zipper would feel!

          I've never had any problem with the slit staying open. It always seems
          to close up just fine.
          Rich

          shokulan wrote:
          > Hi Rosaleen,
          >
          > Thanks for setting the record straight. I read through all the pages
          > in the Hennessey Hammock website a few years ago, but did not go back
          > to fact check when making my post.
          >
          > A zipper in the entry is a zipper in a highly stressed spot. I don't
          > know how long it would last. It's probably best for the zipper if it
          > opens from bottom to top.
          >
          > It's these snags with zippers that gives me second thoughts about
          > putting a zipper in the netting.
          >
          > CL
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
          > <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi, guys-
          >>
          >> A couple of misconceptions to nip before they become accepted.
          >>
          >> No, the early Hennessys did not have zippers. They may have had a
          >>
          > few spots of Velcro or none. (Had one of the early ones.) Hennessy
          > did try zippers in the prototype Safari models. (I tested one.) They
          > had a complex system of rings and strings to open and close the
          > zipper. Tom decided to discontinue that idea. Zippers break and are
          > not truly field repairable. Field repairs are why I prefer buttons
          > over snaps and zippers, btw.
          >
          >> The Hyperlight that I have has a full entry closure with Velcro. I
          >>
          > don't remember if the Adventure models have no Velcro or just spots.
          > I think the latter.
          >
          >> Regards,
          >>
          >> Rosaleen

        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2009
            Hi, Rich-

            Try grabbing the entry edge and rolling the Velcro under and away from you as you clear the entrance. It might help the scraping issue.

            Rosaleen

            Re: Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to
            Posted by: "Richard Perlman" richard@...<mailto:richard@...> montclair2525

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
              Zippers on misquito netting: due to the fact that one side of the netting is almost always under tension it is very easy to zip and unzip the netting. In fact, I have never ever been able to "catch" the zipper. Now my high end down sleeping bag zipper, I rarely am able to zip or unzip it without getting it to catch.

              Just some feedback for you to think about.

            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
                Thank you Paul,
                I am thinking. It won't hurt to put in a side zipper entry and leave the
                bottom entry as is till I see what I works best for me.
                Rogene
                .
              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
                  I have a claytor jungle hammock with a large (#5?) ykk zipper and a couple that I have made (a 7 footer for my three year old to grow into and another one for myself as a spare or as a primary when I want no-see-um as opposed to the mosquito netting on my claytor JH) with a #3 ykk zipper (tied cord pulls to them) and have had zero problems with the zippers! I actually like the #3's better than the bigger ones as they're easier to open and close (smoother).

                  I'm with Paul on sleeping bag zippers. Recently I managed to get my no-snag zipper on my marmot bag to snag and part of it ripped off (happened during half-sleep, heh)--just got finished repairing that yesterday! ....But zippers on my hammocks? No problem!

                  T3