Re: [Hammock Camping] Re:Keeping feet out of bottom-entry slit/wasRe: Tall guy looking to get

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
      Yes I know that a screen zipper is possible to do.
      I have the skills to do this my self if need be.

      I was thinking also of adding a bottom layer to insert a closed cell pad.
      I move around much too much with the restless legs to keep one under me for
      long. I am thinking about this option. Thanks.

      Also I have been thinking of adding a added width cover of some kind to the
      hole with another Velcro line or a zipper to the under hole. I'm fairly
      short so twisting around to get to a zipper would not be hard for me as long
      as that zipper had a string/webbing loosely attached to the ridge line or
      side of the bottom somewhere so I can find it quickly during the night.
      We'll see which option I'll eventually decide on.
      Thanks. All thoughts and ideas are welcome while I;m still in the planning
      stage.

      Rogene. .

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi Rogene,

        I don't think I've got restless legs, but I move around a lot in my
        hammock and don't always sleep with both legs off to the right. So,
        I, too, have a tendency to stick my foot through the velcro. One
        thing I do is make sure the velcro is really sealed shut. This helps
        prevent accidental openings. For me, though, an occasional heel
        through the opening isn't really a problem. I've yet to wake up with
        one leg hanging out to feed mosquitoes!

        Apparently the early Hennessey Hammocks had zippers instead of velcro.
        They were removed as unnecessarily heavy. Supposedly, your weight is
        enough to keep the slit closed and, apparently, the hyperlite hammocks
        do not even have the velcro.

        The stated reason for velcro is to keep critters out when you're out.
        This really worked three summers ago when camping in central Alabama
        during its drought. Ants were climbing up trees in columns 0.5-1 inch
        wide--and using my hammock ridgeline as a shortcut between trees.

        I've found that my weight, considerable as it is, does not necessarily
        keep the slit closed. One night I hadn't closed it properly and got
        bounced in on by a huge cricket. Believe me. There is nowhere near
        enough room in one of those hammocks for me AND a cricket!

        I would think that replacing that velcro with a zipper is easier than
        putting a zipper into the net (but I do like the idea of being able to
        reach out and may ask 2Questions
        <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3600> to do one
        of their modifications (probably 3 or 2 if they're willing to reverse
        zipper direction) this coming summer. As for zipping the bottom
        entry, for emergency release purposes, it might be best to have the
        zipper pull down to open. This also keeps you from sleeping on zipper
        tabs. You might even work out a part zipper part velcro solution, as
        your feet are probably only poking through the bottom third, right?

        CL
        who really likes the JRB nest but wishes she'd blown the extra US$20
        or so to get two no-snivelers instead of the standard 3-season set.