Re: [Hammock Camping] Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • Elizabeth Young
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1 10:56 AM
      carrbear123 wrote:
      > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
      > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

      hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
      very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
      get flattish on the diagonal.
      Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
      actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
      This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

      liz
    • David Fox
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1 11:43 AM
        There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
        cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
        hammock.

        From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

        Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

      • David Fox
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1 11:50 AM
          Tall Guy,

          If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
          you can try.

          > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
          > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

          hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
          very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
          get flattish on the diagonal.
          Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
          actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
          This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

          liz

        • shokulan
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1 9:58 PM
            It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
            everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
            to relax.

            -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

            > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
            thing everyone thinks?
          • Carey Parks
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2 10:35 AM
              Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
              be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
              the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
              even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
              you are not in it.

              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2 10:35 AM
                what's a DD?

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2 12:02 PM
                  www.ddhammocks.com

                  They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                  mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                  and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                  sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                  inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                  ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                  yet.