Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • Tom Frazier
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

      From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

    • Elizabeth Young
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        carrbear123 wrote:
        > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
        > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

        hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
        very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
        get flattish on the diagonal.
        Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
        actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
        This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

        liz
      • David Fox
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
          cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
          hammock.

          From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            Tall Guy,

            If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
            you can try.

            > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
            > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

            hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
            very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
            get flattish on the diagonal.
            Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
            actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
            This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

            liz

          • shokulan
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
              everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
              to relax.

              -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

              > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
              thing everyone thinks?
            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                you are not in it.

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                  what's a DD?

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                    www.ddhammocks.com

                    They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                    mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                    and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                    sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                    inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                    ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                    yet.