Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • paddydrury
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
      recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
      pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
      side.

      If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
      dd upside down !!!

      There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
    • Tom Frazier
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

        From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

      • Elizabeth Young
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          carrbear123 wrote:
          > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
          > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

          hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
          very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
          get flattish on the diagonal.
          Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
          actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
          This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

          liz
        • David Fox
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
            cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
            hammock.

            From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

          • David Fox
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              Tall Guy,

              If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
              you can try.

              > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
              > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

              hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
              very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
              get flattish on the diagonal.
              Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
              actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
              This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

              liz

            • shokulan
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                to relax.

                -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                thing everyone thinks?
              • Carey Parks
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                  Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                  be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                  the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                  even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                  you are not in it.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                    what's a DD?

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                      www.ddhammocks.com

                      They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                      mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                      and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                      sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                      inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                      ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                      yet.