Re: Hammock Camping Question on a HEAVY USE hammock

  • colonelcorn76
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2003
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
      wrote:
      > Jodi – here's hoping strings hold!! I think I'll go to Buffalo
      and get
      > one of the cotton hammocks – unless they need 10' or more to hang –
      in
      > which case I dunno what I'll do – except maybe pick up another
      Traveller
      > and hope it works better this time.

      Call the Hennesseys and ask about a Scout model or a customization
      of one of their other models. No doubt they'll be able to help you
      out.

      Jim
    • alidisaster
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
        Wasn't there someone on the list who makes heavy cotton hammocks?
        Maybe they could make one that would fit in your space? Cotton
        hammocks can really last - and they are very comfy.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "colonelcorn76"
        <colonelcorn76@y...> wrote:
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "J Cornelius" <dojers@c...>
        > wrote:
        > > Jodi – here's hoping strings hold!! I think I'll go to Buffalo
        > and get
        > > one of the cotton hammocks – unless they need 10' or more to
        hang –
        > in
        > > which case I dunno what I'll do – except maybe pick up another
        > Traveller
        > > and hope it works better this time.
        >
        > Call the Hennesseys and ask about a Scout model or a customization
        > of one of their other models. No doubt they'll be able to help you
        > out.
        >
        > Jim
      • Tony Burnett
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
          Define "micro fleece". Can you give me a brand example?

          I noticed that your gear lists shows a fleece at 19oz and a LJ pants
          at 5.3oz. I assume the later is NOT fleece.

          Do you wear "micro fleece" tops AND bottoms? If so, at what temps?

          At 30F are you wearing anything?

          --- Risk <geoflyfisher@...> wrote:
          > Thanks Bear,
          >
          > Yeah, I do just fine with the Target 3/8 pad down to about 30 with
          >
          > just a quilt. Add some fleece under me (micro fleece long pants
          > and
          > a pullover) and I'm good down to below 20. Below that and I need a
          >
          > second pad.
          >
          > Your info about when you drop the pad entirely is very useful.

          =====
          Tony

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Risk
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
            Hi Tony,

            Let me try to remember some of the details. It's 90 degrees outside
            and its hard to think about the cold.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tony Burnett
            <tburnettcis@y...> wrote:
            > Define "micro fleece". Can you give me a brand example?

            The stuff I am talking about is about 1 to 1.5 mm thick. I think it
            is known in as Malden Mills 100 weight. It can be purchased at
            Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and other sources.

            > I noticed that your gear lists shows a fleece at 19oz and a LJ pants
            > at 5.3oz. I assume the later is NOT fleece.

            Except in the dead of winter, my insulating layer for my legs is a
            polypro pair of pants. On that list, the fleece top is made from 200
            weight material.

            > Do you wear "micro fleece" tops AND bottoms? If so, at what temps?

            Nah, I almost never wear the fleece when actually hiking. Mainly
            because I don't do a great deal of winter camping yet. When the
            temps rise above freezing, I no longer need the fleece bottoms and
            can just use polypro long underwear.

            > At 30F are you wearing anything?

            Yes, First layer is almost always a pair of nylon shorts and a
            coolmax tee. At thirty, I would be wearing the long pants and the
            fleece top. Long pants may either be the polypro, a pair of frogg
            togg pants or a nylon breathable pair of pants. It has varied on
            different hikes. By 45 degrees at the middle of the night, the long
            johns are usually buried in the pack for emergency warmth.

            I hope that helps.

            Rick
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
              > Shane, some of your comments about sleeping in summertime
              > LA come to mind, but I don't remember any of it with
              > specific nightime lows mentioned.

              I'm way behind in this list, so forgive me if I pull a Dawn...

              The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both humidity and
              wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down to 60, but
              I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff breeze can
              take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the pad, just in
              case.

              Shane
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
                > I now have my Byer Traveller hammock hanging in my room –
                > but – after only a couple of weeks in it, the strands are
                > starting to break (had one break last night – hard time
                > going back to sleep after that wondering if the blooming
                > thing was gonna crash on me in the middle of the night!!).

                Send it back to Byer and ask them to replace it. There is no reason for it
                to wear out so quickly.

                OR

                Get a true Mayan Hammock as Christina mentioned.

                OR

                Call Tom or Ed and have them custom make you exactly what you want.

                Shane
              • David Anderson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 2, 2003
                  At 11:15 PM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                  >The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both humidity and
                  >wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down to 60, but
                  >I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff breeze can
                  >take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the pad, just in
                  >case.
                  >
                  >Shane

                  Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in the summer! Most days
                  we never hit 80, even at sea level. And if I go climb up a few thousand
                  feet I get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.

                  --
                  David Anderson
                  Moderator
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
                    Until Ranier rains on the parade!

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, David Anderson
                    <danderson@b...> wrote:
                    > At 11:15 PM 7/2/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                    > >The lowest temperature you can go padless is a function of both
                    humidity and
                    > >wind speed. I've been very comfortable padless all the way down
                    to 60, but
                    > >I've also been chilly in temperatures as high as 80. A stiff
                    breeze can
                    > >take the heat right away from you. I almost ALWAYS carry the
                    pad, just in
                    > >case.
                    > >
                    > >Shane
                    >
                    > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in the summer!
                    Most days
                    > we never hit 80, even at sea level. And if I go climb up a few
                    thousand
                    > feet I get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.
                    >

                    > --
                    > David Anderson
                    > Moderator
                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
                  • Erin
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
                      All,

                      I was fortunate to spend a couple summers in Barranquia, Colombia as
                      a child. I visited friends of the family so I travelled without my
                      parents. While in Colombia I was introduced to their wonderful
                      hammocks. In that region they are brightly colored cotton fabric
                      (perhaps 8'x5') with cotton string ends. I was able to bring a
                      couple examples back with me. We usually used them to lounge inside
                      our cabin in the Allegheny mountains of Western PA. At that time I
                      was light enough to hang the hammocks off of 16 penny nails hammered
                      into the rafters.

                      I always wanted to use the hammock to sleep in but my parents (who
                      layed in the hammocks like bananas in their skins) were convinced
                      that my back would hurt and simply wouldn't permit it. They just
                      didn't get it. I would lay in the hammocks diagonally (or even
                      perpendicular to the hanging points), as I had seen them do in South
                      America, and knew how wonderfully comfortable they really were.
                      Amazingly, we slept in sleeping bags on bunks made out of old doors
                      without padding... this was supposed to be more comfortable!?!?

                      Anyway, and finally to my point, some 27 years later I still have
                      those hammocks and they are still in great shape. This thread has
                      convinced me that I need to hang these inside. I probably won't be
                      able to convince my wife that we should be sleeping in separate
                      hammocks so I won't be joining the hammock slumber devotees. But I
                      do want to spend as many of my waking hours in a hammock as
                      possible. I plan on using Ed's technique of tying a 2x4 into several
                      studs. Ed, do you have your inside hammock attached diagonally
                      between two attached walls or to two walls across from each other?
                      Would either configuration leave any structural concerns? Call me
                      paranoid (or maybe just ignorant... I really don't know much about
                      construction) but I'm a little afraid of my 225 lbs pulling the walls
                      in. If diagonal, is it important to have the hammock and walls
                      create a 45/45/90 deg triangle or would 30/60/90 work as well? And,
                      what about using a similar technique to tie into rafters? Any
                      concerns with that?

                      Thanks, everyone, for your contributions. You have all made this a
                      really great list.

                      Erin

                      p.s. Ed: This is my first post so let me say "thank you" for your
                      efforts and contributions to the list. I particularly respect the
                      degree of objectivity and generosity that you manage given that you
                      actually have a commercial interest in hammock camping.

                      > Jodi, I feel your pain! Having a hammock fail under you is
                      certainly
                      > not conducive for sleep!
                      >
                      > Your hanging space is limited and thus not suitable for many stands
                      that
                      > angle outward as much as 15'. Instead of a stand, can you mount
                      > directly to the walls? I've hung my hammock in the bedroom using
                      3/4"
                      > thick eyebolts screwed into 4' long 2X4's that are mounted
                      horizontially
                      > so they could be screwed into several of the vertical studs inside
                      the
                      > walls--dosen't look pretty, but it works. My walls are sheetrock
                      over
                      > thin boards. Attaching the horizontal 2X4's to the wall studs is
                      the
                      > key--I used lots of 4" long screws. This has held for several
                      years now
                      > and I too sleep in the hammock nearly every night.
                      >
                      > Hope you're back up and sleeping soon! ....Ed

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
                      05

                      065843:HM/A=1652963/R=0/SIG=11tvulr8i/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?
                      mq

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
                        Message
                        Welcome and thanks for the kind words Erin.  My bedroom hammock is attached straight between opposite walls. Obviously sturdy walls are necessary--my old house has bomb-proof  rock and wood walls, but newer houses generally have less sturdy ones.  If in doubt, hanging the hammock diagonally near the corner between walls might be wise.   My two horizontal 4.5' 2X4s are very securely screwed into my walls such that each one crosses 3 vertical interior-wall studs--at each stud, 5 long screws (4" ea) secure the horizontal 2X4s; in addition numerous random shorter screws also secure the 2X4s to each wall between the studs.  This is a lot of screws, but I've not noticed any problems after 1.5 years of nightly use.  The anchor hardware is 1" eyebolts made from 1/2" dia steel--these screw into the horizontal 2X4s about 3" deep.  The eyebolts do NOT enter any studs, but it would probably be better if they did.

                        Erin, hanging from raffters may require a similar reinforced setup.  Whatever you do, watch closely for developing damage or failure....Ed

> [...]

                        > Your hanging space is limited and thus not suitable for many stands
                        that
                        > angle outward as much as 15'.  Instead of a stand, can you mount
                        > directly to the walls?  I've hung my hammock in the bedroom using
                        3/4"
                        > thick eyebolts screwed into 4' long 2X4's that are mounted
                        horizontially
                        > so they could be screwed into several of the vertical studs inside
                        the
                        > walls--dosen't look pretty, but it works.  My walls are sheetrock
                        over
                        > thin boards.  Attaching the horizontal 2X4's to the wall studs is
                        the
                        > key--I used lots of 4" long screws.  This has held for several
                        years now
                        > and I too sleep in the hammock nearly every night.

                        > Hope you're back up and sleeping soon!  ....Ed

                      • Shane
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
                          > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in
                          > the summer! Most days we never hit 80, even at sea
                          > level. And if I go climb up a few thousand feet I
                          > get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.

                          Absolutely. Down here in the muck and the mire, there are certain
                          drawbacks. I wish I could say that it was worth it...

                          There are, of course, more than enough trees to hang hammocks from. There
                          is no tree line until you hit the water, and hiking in February doesn't
                          involve ice storms...

                          Shne
                        • David Anderson
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 3, 2003
                            At 04:50 PM 7/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                            > > Thanks for reminding me why I love the northwest in
                            > > the summer! Most days we never hit 80, even at sea
                            > > level. And if I go climb up a few thousand feet I
                            > > get to sleep in nice comfortable 40 degree nights.
                            >
                            >Absolutely. Down here in the muck and the mire, there are certain
                            >drawbacks. I wish I could say that it was worth it...
                            >
                            >There are, of course, more than enough trees to hang hammocks from. There
                            >is no tree line until you hit the water, and hiking in February doesn't
                            >involve ice storms...
                            >
                            >Shne

                            Yeah, winter weather can be entertaining, that's why I stick with the coast
                            in the winter. Summers with a late snowpack are more annoying though. In
                            late July most of the trails that went above 5000' at any point still had
                            snow. And summer slushy snow is a lot less fun than winter snow and ice.

                            As for the trees, I've never had trouble finding trees sinc4e I rarely camp
                            above treeline. It's more of a problem with needing 30' tree straps if I'm
                            in an old growth area.

                            At some point I would like try hanging a hammock over the water from a
                            canoe just to claim that I'd done it. The danger is that I'm not always to
                            lucid when I wake up in the morning (okay, make that "never") and would
                            probably end up as gator bait.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 5, 2003
                              Short report on the 3-4th trip focused on the padand the temperature.

                              My Frau Diane (Newly trail named EllieD) and I did a gentle 6 miles
                              in the heat and humidity on Thursday. Set up camp in an approved
                              campsite at Zalinsli State Forest, Ohio. Temp 92 degrees. Humidity
                              about 90 percent...

                              I agree strongly with Shane about one thing, temperature and wind are
                              both important, as is humidity.

                              By sun down it was down to 86 degrees and we went to the trees. No
                              pad. No wind (<5mph) I was able to get to sleep fairly cool and did
                              well. About 2 or 3 AM as the temps dropped below 70, My back felt a
                              little cool to touch, but I was not cold. EllieD said she had the
                              same experience. If it had dropped a few more degrees or if the wind
                              had picked up, I would have taken the few seconds it would have taken
                              to slide the pad out of my pack and between the two layers of my
                              hammock.

                              Next day did a fun 10 miles along a forested canyon with many
                              waterfalls. That felt good!

                              Pics soon, I promise.

                              Risk