Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • ratsmouth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
      this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
      gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
      for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
      hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

      I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
      hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
      seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
      about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
      out! :::grin:::

      One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
      on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
      other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
      5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
      hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
      enjoy exploring the outdoors.

      Ratty

      From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

      Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

    • paddydrury
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
        recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
        pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
        side.

        If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
        dd upside down !!!

        There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
      • Tom Frazier
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            carrbear123 wrote:
            > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
            > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

            hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
            very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
            get flattish on the diagonal.
            Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
            actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
            This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

            liz
          • David Fox
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
              cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the

              From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
              To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

              Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

            • David Fox
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                Tall Guy,

                If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                you can try.

                > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                get flattish on the diagonal.
                Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                liz

              • shokulan
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                  everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                  to relax.

                  -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                  > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                  thing everyone thinks?
                • Carey Parks
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                    Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                    be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                    the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                    even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                    you are not in it.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                      what's a DD?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                        www.ddhammocks.com

                        They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                        mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                        and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                        sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                        inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                        ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                        yet.