Re: [Hammock Camping] Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      Rosaleen,
      >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
      >bugs, etc.

      In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
      during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
      skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
      in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
      up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
      don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
      any solutions for this?

      Rogene

      .
    • ratsmouth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
        this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
        gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
        for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
        hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

        I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
        hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
        seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
        about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
        out! :::grin:::

        One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
        on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
        other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
        5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
        hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
        enjoy exploring the outdoors.

        Ratty

        From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

        Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

        Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

      • paddydrury
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
          recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
          pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
          side.

          If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
          dd upside down !!!

          There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
        • Tom Frazier
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

            From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

          • Elizabeth Young
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              carrbear123 wrote:
              > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
              > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

              hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
              very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
              get flattish on the diagonal.
              Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
              actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
              This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

              liz
            • David Fox
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the

                From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

              • David Fox
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Tall Guy,

                  If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                  you can try.

                  > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                  > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                  hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                  very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                  get flattish on the diagonal.
                  Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                  actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                  This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                  liz

                • shokulan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                    everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                    to relax.

                    -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                    > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                    thing everyone thinks?
                  • Carey Parks
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                      Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                      be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                      the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                      even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                      you are not in it.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                        what's a DD?

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                          www.ddhammocks.com

                          They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                          mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                          and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                          sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                          inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                          ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                          yet.