[Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • shokulan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      A hammock is much better than a lazyboy! At home, I'll often start
      the night in lazyboy, waking up in the morning on the diagonal.

      Lazyboy is easy to do in any Mayan style hammock, but hard in
      Hennessey's ASYM hammocks (but not impossible...). I first read the
      description in Shane Steinkemp's Backpackgeartest review of a
      Hennessey Hammock (no longer online, unfortunately reviews expire
      after about 3 years).

      To do the lazyboy, you want your torso (from butt to head) in line
      with the hammock. Then, instead of keeping your legs together and
      going banana, let your legs split and slide down away from the center
      line. The result is each leg gets cradled by the extra hammock
      material. If you get it right, you'll even have knee support.

      I use neck support (towel), but one of those inflatable travel pillows
      will work. This keeps your head from flopping over. I'll rest my
      arms above my head (when hot), or down alongside my torso, or crossed
      over my chest--all depends on how cold I am.

      Many in my family have sleep apnea and use cpap machines. One uncle
      pointed out that the more upright (lazyboy) or more face sideways or
      down (sleep on side or tummy) you can get, the better you'll sleep
      without the machine.

      CL

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gary coleman <gacoleman@...> wrote:

      > i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very
      accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of
      camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way
      haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him
      if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.
      i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with
      glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is
      something other than the banana position.
    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        Rosaleen,
        >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
        >bugs, etc.

        In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
        during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
        skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
        in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
        up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
        don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
        any solutions for this?

        Rogene

        .
      • ratsmouth@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
          this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
          gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
          for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
          hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

          I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
          hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
          seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
          about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
          out! :::grin:::

          One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
          on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
          other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
          5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
          hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
          enjoy exploring the outdoors.

          Ratty

          From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

          Subject: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

        • paddydrury
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
            recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
            pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
            side.

            If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
            dd upside down !!!

            There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
          • Tom Frazier
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

              From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
              To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

            • Elizabeth Young
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                carrbear123 wrote:
                > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                get flattish on the diagonal.
                Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                liz
              • David Fox
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                  cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
                  hammock.

                  From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                  To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                • David Fox
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Tall Guy,

                    If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                    you can try.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                      It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                      everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                      to relax.

                      -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                      > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                      thing everyone thinks?
                    • Carey Parks
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                        be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                        the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                        even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                        you are not in it.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                          what's a DD?

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                            www.ddhammocks.com

                            They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                            mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                            and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                            sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                            inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                            ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                            yet.