Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • gary coleman
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way  haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.  i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is something other than the banana position.

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        A hammock is much better than a lazyboy! At home, I'll often start
        the night in lazyboy, waking up in the morning on the diagonal.

        Lazyboy is easy to do in any Mayan style hammock, but hard in
        Hennessey's ASYM hammocks (but not impossible...). I first read the
        description in Shane Steinkemp's Backpackgeartest review of a
        Hennessey Hammock (no longer online, unfortunately reviews expire
        after about 3 years).

        To do the lazyboy, you want your torso (from butt to head) in line
        with the hammock. Then, instead of keeping your legs together and
        going banana, let your legs split and slide down away from the center
        line. The result is each leg gets cradled by the extra hammock
        material. If you get it right, you'll even have knee support.

        I use neck support (towel), but one of those inflatable travel pillows
        will work. This keeps your head from flopping over. I'll rest my
        arms above my head (when hot), or down alongside my torso, or crossed
        over my chest--all depends on how cold I am.

        Many in my family have sleep apnea and use cpap machines. One uncle
        pointed out that the more upright (lazyboy) or more face sideways or
        down (sleep on side or tummy) you can get, the better you'll sleep
        without the machine.

        CL

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gary coleman <gacoleman@...> wrote:

        > i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very
        accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of
        camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way
        haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him
        if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.
        i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with
        glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is
        something other than the banana position.
      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          Rosaleen,
          >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
          >bugs, etc.

          In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
          during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
          skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
          in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
          up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
          don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
          any solutions for this?

          Rogene

          .
        • ratsmouth@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
            this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
            gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
            for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
            hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

            I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
            hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
            seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
            about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
            out! :::grin:::

            One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
            on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
            other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
            5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
            hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
            enjoy exploring the outdoors.

            Ratty

            From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

            To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

          • paddydrury
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
              recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
              pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
              side.

              If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
              dd upside down !!!

              There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
            • Tom Frazier
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

                From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
                To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

              • Elizabeth Young
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  carrbear123 wrote:
                  > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                  > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                  hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                  very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                  get flattish on the diagonal.
                  Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                  actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                  This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                  liz
                • David Fox
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                    cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
                    hammock.

                    From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                    To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                  • David Fox
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Tall Guy,

                      If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                      you can try.

                      > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                      > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                      hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                      very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                      get flattish on the diagonal.
                      Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                      actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                      This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                      liz

                    • shokulan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                        It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                        everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                        to relax.

                        -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                        > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                        thing everyone thinks?
                      • Carey Parks
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                          Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                          be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                          the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                          even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                          you are not in it.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                            what's a DD?

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                              www.ddhammocks.com

                              They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                              mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                              and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                              sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                              inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                              ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                              yet.