Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
      Hi, Brian-

      You have several great answers already. Hung and used correctly, yes, you will get pretty flat but not totally flat in a hammock. And, yes, the way the fabric fans out around and under you, you will be supported so well that being "flat" is not actually desirable.

      I've been using Hennessy Hammocks for about 10 years. I was leery of the hammock concept due to a couple of blown out discs, arthritis, etc. I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from bugs, etc. A little practice takes care of working around getting into the hammock with sleeping bag, etc.

      If you are near Boston, I can lend you a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, which might fit you. Also, Hennessy has a return policy. Check it out at hennessyhammock.com. Other vendors may also have a trial policy.

      Regards,

      Rosaleen

      Tall guy looking to get into a hammock
      Posted by: "carrbear123" carrbear01@...<mailto:carrbear01@...> carrbear123
      Date: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:11 pm ((PST))

      Hi folks,

      I've been checking out the forum to find previous posts on these
      questions, but haven't had luck. If it's been discussed before,
      please feel free to send me to the right place! Otherwise, I guess
      I'll just ask 'em all! :)

    • gary coleman
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way  haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.  i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is something other than the banana position.

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          A hammock is much better than a lazyboy! At home, I'll often start
          the night in lazyboy, waking up in the morning on the diagonal.

          Lazyboy is easy to do in any Mayan style hammock, but hard in
          Hennessey's ASYM hammocks (but not impossible...). I first read the
          description in Shane Steinkemp's Backpackgeartest review of a
          Hennessey Hammock (no longer online, unfortunately reviews expire
          after about 3 years).

          To do the lazyboy, you want your torso (from butt to head) in line
          with the hammock. Then, instead of keeping your legs together and
          going banana, let your legs split and slide down away from the center
          line. The result is each leg gets cradled by the extra hammock
          material. If you get it right, you'll even have knee support.

          I use neck support (towel), but one of those inflatable travel pillows
          will work. This keeps your head from flopping over. I'll rest my
          arms above my head (when hot), or down alongside my torso, or crossed
          over my chest--all depends on how cold I am.

          Many in my family have sleep apnea and use cpap machines. One uncle
          pointed out that the more upright (lazyboy) or more face sideways or
          down (sleep on side or tummy) you can get, the better you'll sleep
          without the machine.

          CL

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gary coleman <gacoleman@...> wrote:

          > i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very
          accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of
          camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way
          haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him
          if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.
          i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with
          glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is
          something other than the banana position.
        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            Rosaleen,
            >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
            >bugs, etc.

            In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
            during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
            skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
            in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
            up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
            don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
            any solutions for this?

            Rogene

            .
          • ratsmouth@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
              this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
              gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
              for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
              hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

              I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
              hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
              seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
              about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
              out! :::grin:::

              One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
              on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
              other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
              5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
              hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
              enjoy exploring the outdoors.

              Ratty

              From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

              To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

              Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

            • paddydrury
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
                recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
                pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
                side.

                If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
                dd upside down !!!

                There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
              • Tom Frazier
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

                  From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
                  To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                • Elizabeth Young
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    carrbear123 wrote:
                    > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                    > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                    hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                    very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                    get flattish on the diagonal.
                    Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                    actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                    This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                    liz
                  • David Fox
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                      There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                      cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
                      hammock.

                      From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                      To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                      Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                    • David Fox
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Tall Guy,

                        If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                        you can try.

                        > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                        > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                        hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                        very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                        get flattish on the diagonal.
                        Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                        actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                        This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                        liz

                      • shokulan
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                          It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                          everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                          to relax.

                          -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                          > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                          thing everyone thinks?
                        • Carey Parks
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                            be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                            the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                            even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                            you are not in it.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                              what's a DD?

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                www.ddhammocks.com

                                They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                                mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                                and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                                sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                                inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                                ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                                yet.