Re: Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • shokulan
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
      I have a 30% dislocation between my L5 and sacrum. This was the
      result of a motorbike accident. Before that, though, I was really
      sway backed from scoliosis. So when I had the accident, the break was
      at the weakest point of my sway.

      Even before my accident, I had trouble sleeping on a bed--needing a
      pillow under my knees to help straighten out my back and relieve
      pressure from my lower back. After the accident, everything was much
      worse.

      I also have TMJ and all the associated jaw, head, neck, and shoulder
      discomfort.

      Before hammocks, I was spending more and more money on fancier and
      thicker sleeping mats and increasingly complicated arrangements with
      pillows under my knees and supporting my head. None of it was doing
      any good as I continued to spend most of the night in such discomfort
      that I wasn't getting much sleep. Lack of sleep does a real number on
      hiking energy and attitude!

      The great thing about hammocks is--no pressure points. Sleeping
      supported by cloth, the result is a fairly even support throughout.
      There are no pressure points. There are, however, two or three stress
      points: neck, knees, and maybe ankles. I use a bath towel (at home)
      or my down vest or sweater (when hiking) as a pillow--a full pillow is
      just too much pillow. I slide around in the hammock until there's a
      wrinkle of cloth to support my knees, crossing your legs, or tucking
      one foot under the other knees, or learning to make sure you've always
      some bend in your knees prevents the stress and discomfort of hyper
      extension. Some people on this list stuff their extra clothes under
      their knees. Sometimes, an ankle (usually my right ankle) is a bit
      stiff or uncomfortable in the morning, because I spent the night with
      it twisted an odd way.

      Despite these drawbacks, hammocks are so comfortable and I was getting
      such good sleep in them, that I moved in permanently about 1.5 years
      ago. I sleep in a modified version of the US$19-25 Traveler hammock
      at home. I bought a US$25 folding hammock stand (from Target, but
      it's slightly too small even for my short height of 5'3") for use when
      staying in hotels or visiting relatives (places where it would be
      inconvenient to sleep outside). On the trail, I use a Hennessey
      (hennesseyhammock.com). It's lightness and compactness offsets my
      personal preferences for top-loading hammocks and for sleeping angled
      head right and feet left (Hennessey's Asym design basically forces you
      to sleep head left and feet right of the center line). Another
      advantage of the Hennessey bottom-entry design is that I don't dump my
      sleeping bag and 'pillow' into the muck when I leave the hammock.

      Admittedly, since I almost always hike with my husband, the most
      lightweight way for me to go would be to ditch the hammock and share
      the Double Rainbow (tarptent.com) with my husband. This would make
      our combined pack weight lighter by about 1 kilo (2 lbs). So,
      carrying a hammock does have a weight penalty--especially any time the
      nighttime temperatures go below 70*F (for me, below 80*F). For me,
      the weight penalty (since my husband carries the tent) is definitely
      worth the nights rest!

      Anyway, if you have back problems, a hammock just might be the way to
      go. My chiropractor thinks it a terrible idea, but he's never seen
      one in use and has the typical mental image of a banana. Sleeping on
      the diagonal or in a way similar to sleeping in a lazy-boy recliner is
      very different from sleeping in a banana shape. My doctor (general
      practitioner) is interested and is eager to see the hammock.

      CL
    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi, Brian-

        You have several great answers already. Hung and used correctly, yes, you will get pretty flat but not totally flat in a hammock. And, yes, the way the fabric fans out around and under you, you will be supported so well that being "flat" is not actually desirable.

        I've been using Hennessy Hammocks for about 10 years. I was leery of the hammock concept due to a couple of blown out discs, arthritis, etc. I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from bugs, etc. A little practice takes care of working around getting into the hammock with sleeping bag, etc.

        If you are near Boston, I can lend you a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, which might fit you. Also, Hennessy has a return policy. Check it out at hennessyhammock.com. Other vendors may also have a trial policy.

        Regards,

        Rosaleen

        Tall guy looking to get into a hammock
        Posted by: "carrbear123" carrbear01@...<mailto:carrbear01@...> carrbear123
        Date: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:11 pm ((PST))

        Hi folks,

        I've been checking out the forum to find previous posts on these
        questions, but haven't had luck. If it's been discussed before,
        please feel free to send me to the right place! Otherwise, I guess
        I'll just ask 'em all! :)

      • gary coleman
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way  haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.  i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is something other than the banana position.

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            A hammock is much better than a lazyboy! At home, I'll often start
            the night in lazyboy, waking up in the morning on the diagonal.

            Lazyboy is easy to do in any Mayan style hammock, but hard in
            Hennessey's ASYM hammocks (but not impossible...). I first read the
            description in Shane Steinkemp's Backpackgeartest review of a
            Hennessey Hammock (no longer online, unfortunately reviews expire
            after about 3 years).

            To do the lazyboy, you want your torso (from butt to head) in line
            with the hammock. Then, instead of keeping your legs together and
            going banana, let your legs split and slide down away from the center
            line. The result is each leg gets cradled by the extra hammock
            material. If you get it right, you'll even have knee support.

            I use neck support (towel), but one of those inflatable travel pillows
            will work. This keeps your head from flopping over. I'll rest my
            arms above my head (when hot), or down alongside my torso, or crossed
            over my chest--all depends on how cold I am.

            Many in my family have sleep apnea and use cpap machines. One uncle
            pointed out that the more upright (lazyboy) or more face sideways or
            down (sleep on side or tummy) you can get, the better you'll sleep
            without the machine.

            CL

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gary coleman <gacoleman@...> wrote:

            > i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very
            accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of
            camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way
            haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him
            if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.
            i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with
            glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is
            something other than the banana position.
          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              Rosaleen,
              >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
              >bugs, etc.

              In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
              during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
              skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
              in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
              up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
              don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
              any solutions for this?

              Rogene

              .
            • ratsmouth@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
                this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
                gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
                for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
                hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

                I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
                hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
                seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
                about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
                out! :::grin:::

                One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
                on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
                other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
                5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
                hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
                enjoy exploring the outdoors.

                Ratty

                From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

                To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

              • paddydrury
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
                  recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
                  pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
                  side.

                  If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
                  dd upside down !!!

                  There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
                • Tom Frazier
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

                    From: shokulan <caralinb@...>
                    To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                  • Elizabeth Young
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                      carrbear123 wrote:
                      > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                      > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                      hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                      very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                      get flattish on the diagonal.
                      Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                      actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                      This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                      liz
                    • David Fox
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                        There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                        cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
                        hammock.

                        From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                        To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                        Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                      • David Fox
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                          Tall Guy,

                          If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                          you can try.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                            It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                            everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                            to relax.

                            -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                            > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                            thing everyone thinks?
                          • Carey Parks
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                              Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                              be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                              the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                              even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                              you are not in it.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                what's a DD?

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  www.ddhammocks.com

                                  They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                                  mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                                  and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                                  sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                                  inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                                  ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                                  yet.