Re: [Hammock Camping] Tall guy looking to get into a hammock

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
      I do highly recomend hanging vs. the ground. But if your worried about trying it and being out your money if you don't like it don't be. There have been a few that have experimented and then decided it wasn't for them, they then inturn had no trouble selling what they bought on hammock forums.net or White Blaze. A good source to try before your buy is to post on hammock forums.net and see if anyone is in your area and will let you try there hammock out. Many hangers are very gratious at trying to convert the ground dwellers. I've had a lot of trouble with my back in recent years and the hammock in my opinion is the most comfortable night sleep I can get. Most people I've read about having problems is usually that there knees bother them from the slight curve and that is usually taken care of by stuffing some extra clothing or backback under the legs while sleeping. If you explore the forums READING you'll see this issue comes up quite a bit for many
      people along with shoulder squeeze in some cases. I personally have never had an issue with these and am perfectly comfortable in my Treklight hammock.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2009
        I have a 30% dislocation between my L5 and sacrum. This was the
        result of a motorbike accident. Before that, though, I was really
        sway backed from scoliosis. So when I had the accident, the break was
        at the weakest point of my sway.

        Even before my accident, I had trouble sleeping on a bed--needing a
        pillow under my knees to help straighten out my back and relieve
        pressure from my lower back. After the accident, everything was much
        worse.

        I also have TMJ and all the associated jaw, head, neck, and shoulder
        discomfort.

        Before hammocks, I was spending more and more money on fancier and
        thicker sleeping mats and increasingly complicated arrangements with
        pillows under my knees and supporting my head. None of it was doing
        any good as I continued to spend most of the night in such discomfort
        that I wasn't getting much sleep. Lack of sleep does a real number on
        hiking energy and attitude!

        The great thing about hammocks is--no pressure points. Sleeping
        supported by cloth, the result is a fairly even support throughout.
        There are no pressure points. There are, however, two or three stress
        points: neck, knees, and maybe ankles. I use a bath towel (at home)
        or my down vest or sweater (when hiking) as a pillow--a full pillow is
        just too much pillow. I slide around in the hammock until there's a
        wrinkle of cloth to support my knees, crossing your legs, or tucking
        one foot under the other knees, or learning to make sure you've always
        some bend in your knees prevents the stress and discomfort of hyper
        extension. Some people on this list stuff their extra clothes under
        their knees. Sometimes, an ankle (usually my right ankle) is a bit
        stiff or uncomfortable in the morning, because I spent the night with
        it twisted an odd way.

        Despite these drawbacks, hammocks are so comfortable and I was getting
        such good sleep in them, that I moved in permanently about 1.5 years
        ago. I sleep in a modified version of the US$19-25 Traveler hammock
        at home. I bought a US$25 folding hammock stand (from Target, but
        it's slightly too small even for my short height of 5'3") for use when
        staying in hotels or visiting relatives (places where it would be
        inconvenient to sleep outside). On the trail, I use a Hennessey
        (hennesseyhammock.com). It's lightness and compactness offsets my
        personal preferences for top-loading hammocks and for sleeping angled
        head right and feet left (Hennessey's Asym design basically forces you
        to sleep head left and feet right of the center line). Another
        advantage of the Hennessey bottom-entry design is that I don't dump my
        sleeping bag and 'pillow' into the muck when I leave the hammock.

        Admittedly, since I almost always hike with my husband, the most
        lightweight way for me to go would be to ditch the hammock and share
        the Double Rainbow (tarptent.com) with my husband. This would make
        our combined pack weight lighter by about 1 kilo (2 lbs). So,
        carrying a hammock does have a weight penalty--especially any time the
        nighttime temperatures go below 70*F (for me, below 80*F). For me,
        the weight penalty (since my husband carries the tent) is definitely
        worth the nights rest!

        Anyway, if you have back problems, a hammock just might be the way to
        go. My chiropractor thinks it a terrible idea, but he's never seen
        one in use and has the typical mental image of a banana. Sleeping on
        the diagonal or in a way similar to sleeping in a lazy-boy recliner is
        very different from sleeping in a banana shape. My doctor (general
        practitioner) is interested and is eager to see the hammock.

        CL
      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
          Hi, Brian-

          You have several great answers already. Hung and used correctly, yes, you will get pretty flat but not totally flat in a hammock. And, yes, the way the fabric fans out around and under you, you will be supported so well that being "flat" is not actually desirable.

          I've been using Hennessy Hammocks for about 10 years. I was leery of the hammock concept due to a couple of blown out discs, arthritis, etc. I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from bugs, etc. A little practice takes care of working around getting into the hammock with sleeping bag, etc.

          If you are near Boston, I can lend you a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe, which might fit you. Also, Hennessy has a return policy. Check it out at hennessyhammock.com. Other vendors may also have a trial policy.

          Regards,

          Rosaleen

          Tall guy looking to get into a hammock
          Posted by: "carrbear123" carrbear01@...<mailto:carrbear01@...> carrbear123

          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
            i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way  haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.  i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is something other than the banana position.

            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
              A hammock is much better than a lazyboy! At home, I'll often start
              the night in lazyboy, waking up in the morning on the diagonal.

              Lazyboy is easy to do in any Mayan style hammock, but hard in
              Hennessey's ASYM hammocks (but not impossible...). I first read the
              description in Shane Steinkemp's Backpackgeartest review of a
              Hennessey Hammock (no longer online, unfortunately reviews expire
              after about 3 years).

              To do the lazyboy, you want your torso (from butt to head) in line
              with the hammock. Then, instead of keeping your legs together and
              going banana, let your legs split and slide down away from the center
              line. The result is each leg gets cradled by the extra hammock
              material. If you get it right, you'll even have knee support.

              I use neck support (towel), but one of those inflatable travel pillows
              will work. This keeps your head from flopping over. I'll rest my
              arms above my head (when hot), or down alongside my torso, or crossed
              over my chest--all depends on how cold I am.

              Many in my family have sleep apnea and use cpap machines. One uncle
              pointed out that the more upright (lazyboy) or more face sideways or
              down (sleep on side or tummy) you can get, the better you'll sleep
              without the machine.

              CL

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gary coleman <gacoleman@...> wrote:

              > i think your description of sleeping in a lazy-boy is very
              accurate.  i was talking to someone at work and he liked the idea of
              camping/hiking, but said he didn't think he could figure out a way
              haul around his cpap machine that he has to use at night.  i aske him
              if he  ever falls asleep and has problems in a recliner.  he said no.
              i suggested a hammock might be the solution.  he looked at me with
              glazed eyes and you could see he didn't understand that a hammock is
              something other than the banana position.
            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                Rosaleen,
                >I like that the bottom-entry closes behind me, sealing off the hammock from
                >bugs, etc.

                In my HH I have difficulty with my feet working out of the bottom entry slit
                during the night. Do you or Tom have any solution for this as I don't want
                skeeters inside with me when the hole closing gets compromised. My feet are
                in a sleeping bag so they are protected form the skeeters but the hole ends
                up partially open. I have a touch of restless leg syndrome that most hikers
                don't have that causes the feet to escape. Do you or anyone else know of
                any solutions for this?

                Rogene

                .
              • ratsmouth@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                  Okay, now I am really looking forward to using my HH for the first time
                  this spring. When I had orbital decompression surgery, followed by
                  gallbladder surgery, in the fall, I had to use my recliner to sleep in
                  for a few weeks and found it really comfortable. So if sleeping in my
                  hammock is anything like that, I am going to sleep like a baby!

                  I'm 5'8", 240 lb., and have a Safari Deluxe, which may be "too much
                  hammock" for my size, but when I unpacked it to add snake skins, it
                  seemed pretty workable. My 60+ year old camping buddies are excited
                  about the hammock, so maybe I'll be able to charge admission to try it
                  out! :::grin:::

                  One of the best things about turning 60 last year was seeing the looks
                  on people's faces when I mention that I camp and kayak with a bunch of
                  other 60+ year old ladies. My philosophy is that I'm not 60, I'm
                  5x12, five times over, and still playing in the woods. With this
                  hammock, I may have extended the number of years I can continue to
                  enjoy exploring the outdoors.

                  Ratty

                  From: shokulan <caralinb@...>

                  To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com

                  Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                • paddydrury
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                    I have 3 DD hammocks ( well one is for my daughter) and can not
                    recomend them highly enough. A DD plus light tarp is nowhere near as
                    pricey as a Hennessey. Plus for me I like to enter and leave via the
                    side.

                    If you do not wish to make use of the attached mosey net just hang the
                    dd upside down !!!

                    There are a number of videos on dd's web site and a few others on Utube
                  • Tom Frazier
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first thing everyone thinks? I'm still getting my father used to the idea of hammock camping. He's going to try it this summer to see if he likes it (he may even go to a JRB bridge hammock, too as it might fit his style more)---doesn't help that he has memory issues...so I go through all the advantages, and some disadvantages, get him psyched and convinced to try it out but then when I mention it again he forgets all about what we discussed previously and get this mental banana image in his head again! Seriously, *why* would anyone say hammocks are even marginally comfortable if the only position you can take is that of a banana!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                        carrbear123 wrote:
                        > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                        > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                        hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                        very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                        get flattish on the diagonal.
                        Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                        actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                        This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                        liz
                      • David Fox
                        Message 11 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                          There is a relatively lightweight battery at CPAP.COM that will run many
                          cpap machines for three nights. Tell your friend to try that AND the
                          hammock.

                          From: shokulan <caralinb@... <mailto:caralinb%40ms68.hinet.net> >
                          To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 2:35 AM

                        • David Fox
                          Message 12 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                            Tall Guy,

                            If you are near Dallas Texas contact me. I have several different hammocks
                            you can try.

                            > 3) Know of any stores that I could test a hammock in, without
                            > actually buying one first? (What if I really don't like it!?)

                            hey, if you are anywhere near Sacramento, CA you could always borrow my
                            very plain generic hammock - it is super wide so it is pretty easy to
                            get flattish on the diagonal.
                            Took me a while to believe that hanging the hammock loose and droopy
                            actually lets you lie flatter then if it is all stretched out tight.
                            This applies to simple end-gathered hammocks anyway.

                            liz

                          • shokulan
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 1, 2009
                              It's not just the first thing everyone thinks, it's the first thing
                              everyone does! It takes a while before they trust the hammock enough
                              to relax.

                              -- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Frazier" <wildewudu@...> wrote:

                              > Haha...banana position...don't you hate it when that's the first
                              thing everyone thinks?
                            • Carey Parks
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                Hmm.. I don't know what to say about that. Since the HH is asym, you should
                                be sleeping with your feet on the right side of the slit, and your head on
                                the opposite side, sort of side-saddle. The slit originally had no velcro
                                even, it just stays shut. The velcro is mainly to keep the slit closed when
                                you are not in it.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                  what's a DD?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 2, 2009
                                    www.ddhammocks.com

                                    They have a double layer bottom hammock which is more resistant to
                                    mosquitoes biting through. You can place a sleeping pad between the layers
                                    and this will give you better insulation in cold temps without the pad
                                    sliding all over the place. Also a fine mosquito net and several pouches
                                    inside to hold glasses, flashlight, etc. They are in England. I have
                                    ordered and received one of their hammocks but not had a chance to use it
                                    yet.