Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: rope tie

  • pure mahem
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30, 2009
      I think I may set the record for the Heaviest Heavy weight hiker @ 450lbs. And I can say it will hold you, have no fear! However all gear does eventually break down over time and the long haulers can testify you will eventually land on your but at some point. Even climber replace there gear do to the same reason. Just because your gear is rated what it is new doesn't mean it will stay that way forever. Your best bet is to inspect your straps, hammock and hardware on a regular basis. If it's not raining I inspect my gear before every hang. Pay special attenttion to stitching and key wear points such as wear each item conects to one another like hammock to rope, rope to rings, rings to straps, strap to biner, all knot points and loadbearing stitches. A good point to mention is that knots do weaken your rope/strap by a percentage some more than others. A simple overhand knot can decrease a rope/straps rating by 50% not all knots are as severe but just to
      keep you in the loop so to speak as knowledge is power. That's why most use webing that has sewn loops in the end to attach their biner instead of a knot. They did do testing on this and discussed this on hammock forums.net sometime last year and the stitched loop was the winner for strength as long as it was stitched properly not cutting any of the webbing when it was stitched and the proper stitch used I believe the best stitch pattern for strength was a double box with an x going through both boxes. Hope this helps!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2009
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...> wrote:

        > Sorry after reading your reply I didn't mean to ask about treehugger
        > failure.I was asking about the tension device load weights for tying
        up a
        > hammock. I have arthritis in my hands that makes it hard to untie my
        > hammock knots at times.
        > Rogene

        What knot are you using? I have always just used the Hennessy figure 8
        to set up the hammock - three over and under and arounds, and tie a
        half hitch. One tug to undo the half hitch, unwrap the rope, and done.
        I have been using a climbing biner (four bucks on sale somewhere, max
        load of 500# per biner) in the strap loops then wrapping the rope on
        the biner. I've been nervous the first few times but never gone butt
        to ground. I even use the figure 8 on the tarp - haven't been in a
        real storm with it but it's kept it taught so far.

        You might be asking the wrong question. Maybe the real question is,
        does anyone have suggestions for suspension for dexterity challenged
        hands. Moving to straps from ropes might be the trick. Slap straps are
        nylon - you can get polypro or polyester straps from speer
        (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Supplies.htm) and rewhip your
        hammock ends with them. (Or have someone else do the whipping for you,
        if you can't get it tight enough.) Nylon, like the slap straps, will
        keep stretching; polypro will stretch some and stop, and polyester
        tends not to stretch.

        Lori